In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shahk Week 2022

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MikeInMa, Jul 24, 2022.

  1. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,853
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  3. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,726
    Likes Received:
    224,447
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  4. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,562
    Likes Received:
    67,846
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Impeccable timing:
    Sharks spotted 100 feet from shore in NY
    Other than a bull shark I hooked one time in the Connecticut River, and a small sand shark my old man brought up 30 years ago when we hit a school of porgies, I have yet to see one of these Jaws-inspiring big boys (and I'm okay with that) :whistle:
     
    thewoodlands and MikeInMa like this.
  5. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2015
    Messages:
    12,546
    Likes Received:
    61,489
    Location:
    Taconic Range
    a school of perogies hahahaha
     
  6. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,562
    Likes Received:
    67,846
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    :rofl: :lol:
    “porgies” sometimes called Scup
     
    SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  7. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,520
    Likes Received:
    95,560
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    So I googled it. Interesting fish.
     
  8. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,562
    Likes Received:
    67,846
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I'm at the northern limit for their range here in southern New England, but they're definitely plentiful here.
     
    campinspecter and MikeInMa like this.
  9. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,853
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    They are a boney fish. Lots like to eat them. Others will cut them into chunks, for bait.
     
  10. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,853
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Ocean-going bluegills!
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  11. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,562
    Likes Received:
    67,846
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I never heard of that before but it fits :) As a kid I had a lot of fun pulling them in by the dozens. Not so much baiting the hook with sand worms though :picard:
     
    MikeInMa likes this.
  12. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,853
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Just how I refer to them.

    Even if you're catch-n-releasing, catching them are better than nothing.

    I have a picture of some around.
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  13. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,853
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    The two towards the right. Maybe three. The other is a black sea bass.
    IMG_20220622_121524.jpg
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  14. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,977
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Porgies and Black Sea Bass good eating although they don't get very big, like MikeInMa said panfish of the ocean.

    Use to love Shark Week, but lost it's edge for me over the years. Always about the great white and it's become a celebrity contest. Some of them are entertaining but seems it's become more entertaining vs. educational, gotta make the almighty buck just my 0.02 cents. Kids still tune in once in a while or watch a re-run.
     
    Eric Wanderweg, Chvymn99 and MikeInMa like this.