In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Solar kiln build

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Spitfire0905, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Good idea report back here when you have some results to report;)

2. Spitfire0905

Spitfire0905

Update!

I pulled out and split 20-30 pieces of honey locust/red oak and took moisture content readings (fresh split face, pins parallel to the grain). The outer 1/3 of the wood on either end was 20% mc, but the middle 1/3 (the very center of the splits) is reading ~28%.

Test pieces:
    K1 4 lb 4 oz, 15%
    K2 4 lb 6 oz, 15%
    C1 3 lb 3 oz, 19%
    C2 2 lb 12 oz, 19%
    T1 4 lb 12 oz, 18%
    T2 4 lb 5 oz, 18%

I am still seeing ~120 degree days in the kiln on sunny days, but it is slowing down with fall approaching.

Overall, I am impressed with the kiln operation. I am hopeful that the next few weeks will get the oak/locust the last bit of the way, as it is close. I will be burning cottonwood and then silver maple for the first weeks of the season.

I definitely think cutting back the trees I did at the end of June to get a couple extra hours of sun on the kiln was important. I am hopeful that next year the kiln can get everything well under 20% but this year it looks like I will be right on the border of 20% throughout.

As an aside, the fresh cut/split silver maple from late June which was stacked uncovered is 20% on the ends and 25% in the center of the splits. The cottonwood under the same conditions is a consistent 20%.

3. Timberdog

Timberdog

Did you put some of the silver maple in the kiln to have something to compare?

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. jo191145

jo191145

any idea how the wood is doing in the middle of the kiln?

5. Spitfire0905

Spitfire0905

No silver maple in the kiln for comparison, the cottonwood was used for that purpose.

6. Spitfire0905

Spitfire0905

Not without pulling it all apart, I will check some as I get to the middle later in the burning season.

7. CtRider

CtRider

To uncover or warm up an old thread (best pun I've got) ..... I've been thinking and reading these mini solar kiln ideas so then I went looking for a more resuable approach - perhaps there's such a thing as a IBC tote cover. There is, but they are made to keep sun out, and we want sun in. So upon not finding a clear one, I started looking for what other products might get a similar result without the waste of the shrink wrap and came across this clear plastic patio cover. The dimensions work out to fitting two 275gal totes side by side with about 10" exposed from the bottom. Any thoughts on this? I think based on this threads findings, a vent on the top might help with airflow but there shouldn't be any issue with condensation running down the outside to the ground.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice to see you again. You're absence was noticed.

Hope you're staying warm and hoarding lots of wood.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  9. showrguy

showrguy

I use 16’ x 50” cattle panels, and tie them in a circle, they hold a half cord each, but you need something big enough to move them (if you’ll be moving em ).. IMG_0280.jpeg IMG_0279.jpeg

10. jo191145

jo191145

it’s the condensation on the inside that’s a problem.

11. CtRider

CtRider

I have the totes already and the water condensates on the sides of the inside of the plastic and runs down. I'm not seeing the problem.