In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

In the black now red

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Ohio dave, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Being a side hustle firewood sales aren't a big profit for me. May 2-3sales a month. Which is all I have time for.
    But had a delivery last week and told the wife I was finally in the black for this year. Then I bought 1 gallon bar oil, 2 cycle oil enough to mix 5 gallons, 10 gallons non-ethonal fuel, and filled the truck up. Back in the red. A scheduled delivery today will put me back in black.
    The reason I was red was a few toys this year. Tools and chain to make my own chainsaw chains a, 15 gallon gas can ,and paying my son to help. And having surgery in December had me out of the woodyard till April

2. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I feel really good about my sales. Then I realize that I'm still paying off 3 saws I bought this year. That's going well but I'm not making money, just moving it around. I should be well into the black by the end of the year. Hopefully it goes well for you!

3. corncob

corncob

Wish my business buys were as cheap as yours. Just bought a new Kubota round baler, 45 grand.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Your bales are worth a lot more than a lil pile of firewood though too...and are much less labor intensive, thanks to said baler (and tractor, and discbine (or whatever you cut with) and rake...)

5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

If I throw my truck in that I bought late last year won't be in the black till 2050.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice to be on the plus side. Here's to the rest of the year being just as profitable Dave! :cheers:
    Hoard on and cut safe.

WinonaRail and theburtman like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:rofl: :lol: Dont quit your day job!

8. corncob

corncob

All a biness expense. I tend to roll equipment over (except the tractors), every 7 years and depreciate them the first 4. I keep my tractors because neither of them are T4 final units so no electronics or EPA mandated DEF or SCR hardware involved. I have it down to a one person job so no employees either. Why I have more than one large frame Kubota. Less changeout of equipment on the back end.

Cut with a discbine, rake and windrow with a rotary rake and bale with a computer controlled round baler. Rounds get loaded om semi trailers (customer owned) in the field, and off they go. Own a rotary tedder in the barn that is there just in case but rarely gets used. Good business to be in , in as much as the price of forage is always going up, not down and animals have to eat.

brenndatomu and theburtman like this.
  9. billb3

billb3

The truck is used just for the side hustle ?

10. corncob

corncob

My farm truck, 1 ton diesel 4x4 is in the garage where it stays unless I need it. At $4.56 a gallon for diesel it can stay there. I use the side by side instead. Cheaper to run. Filled it up last week, almost 200 bucks and in the garage it went.

theburtman likes this.
  11. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

No mostly grocery getter. But if it weren't for the side hustle I would have gotten something smaller.

WinonaRail likes this.
  12. corncob

corncob

Like my accountant told me years ago, he said you never want to show much of a profit because the profit is 100% taxable so I always operate on the 'edge' Luckily, I have not had to pay excess taxes in about 10 years, usually get a hefty refund too.

Hickock56 likes this.