In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gypsy moth

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I know some idiots changed the name of these things but it is still the same thing.

Last year we seemed to have a lot of them but still a long way from what we had years ago. But I figured with so many last year it would really be bad this year. Yet, we don't have as many this year, which pleases me. Barcroftb told me about some fungus that kills them. Good thing.

How are they in other areas now?

2. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

We just came back from Muskegon area camping. Tons of Oaks in the campground. Caterpillars were everywhere. It was raining chewed leaves and caterpillar frass 24-7. We would wipe down a table and within minutes it was covered again in caterpillar poop.

3. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I think the new name is spongy moth...

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I haven't seen a single one this year. I think it was 2018 when we last had them really bad, in certain areas. Even back then, I remember the oaks near my work were all defoliated, while the ones in my town 30 miles northwest were fine. Then if I went another 30 miles north from there, the infestation got heavy again.

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

There's a virus/fungus that keeps the caterpillars in check. But, for it to work, wet springs and summers are needed.

A Virus and a Fungal Disease Cause Spongy Moth Outbreaks to Collapse

We had them bad several years ago, due to successive years of drought. There are many standing dead oaks in our area that didn't survive. When April and May showers returned, there were fewer of them.

6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Funny this came up.
    I drove to plainfield ct on 14, and man, every other tree was gypsy moth kill. Well maybe eab too.
    That was a real stretch of damage, further west I havent seen as many all together.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nothing that i can see other than the skeleton trees of past damage theyve done. No web nests that ive seen either usually in cherry trees.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I did some work in that area a few years back when it was real bad. It was early June and some trees were stripped. Coming down 395 i could see it everywhere.

9. Warner

Warner

Took a drive to the white mountains this past weekend I could not believe how many trees that had not a single leaf on them. I haven’t researched yet but I believe it’s due to the gypsy moth. Crazy the amount of defoliated trees.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I think you are looking at tent caterpillars rather than gypsy. Gypsy moth lay egg masses on the tree trunks in late July-August.

11. Timberdog

Timberdog

Yeah, probably because “gypsy” is going to be perceived by some wilted flower as “racist”. So now they are rewriting dictionaries and textbooks at every turn.:loco: :crazy::picard:

12. jo191145

jo191145

Going through Pennsylvania, somewhere near Lamar PA there’s a long stretch of 100% devastation on the ridge lines overlooking the valley. Not one green tree up there. I assume this is from moths in the previous year or two not right now.
    I thought Ct got hit hard. I was wrong.

13. Biddleman

Biddleman

I was just thinking that I haven't seen any so far this year. Same pattern as you. A couple years ago we were loaded. Last year not as many but still a lot.

Lantern fly isnt as bad as last year. My trees were covered, especially my black walnut and of course their host tree of heaven. Ive seen some but nothing like last year. Hopefully it will even be less after I wage my war on the teee of heaven.

Edit: I may be thinking the tent caterpillar was in our area. I did see a bunch of devastation on PA turnpike going west last year.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

You are correct. My family called them tent caterpillars gypsy moths for years so it has stuck with me. Ive seen the egg masses you speak of.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    metalcuttr and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Dennis they do get affected by the Entomophaga maimaiga fungus. They also get a virus called NPV. Both fungus and virus typically significantly effect the second year population.

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I have the same experience as biddleman. I haven't seen hardly any this year. Not many lantern flys yet either. Now boxedler bugs... bumper crop!! :hair:

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We had them really bad here in 2006, they ended up spraying in 2007 because they were late on making a decision in 2006, not much for colors in the fall of 2006.

This is what they sprayed with BT (bacillus thuringiensis) .