In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Saturday evening fun in Dixie

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Jun 26, 2022.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

The Liberty Antique Tractor Pull had an event Saturday afternoon. We took an evening to relax and enjoy it.
    A few of the tractors and trucks
    0625221644.jpg

0625221647a_HDR.jpg

0625221725_HDR.jpg

0625221730a_HDR.jpg

0625221733_HDR.jpg

0625222051.jpg

0625222055_HDR.jpg
    Probably to only dirt this truck has ever seen... 0625222058.jpg
    A few videos that we got...
    The little kids had a blast

It was great to see some youth involved

I bet Screwloose and amateur cutter would like this.
    I've never seen a tractor like this...

The Detroit diesel was singing in this Oliver. He had to disconnect the front drive shaft.

FarmerJ, Chaz, metalcuttr and 22 others like this.
  2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, we could make a log hauler outta that ride. Glad you got a night off Jeff.

FarmerJ, Chaz, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

It was a fun evening. Had some good vendors selling food too. Got some good BBQ and a local church group had fried apple and peach tarts (handpies) and 5 flavors of homemade ice cream, we got peach on both...

4. JimBear

JimBear

I always like seeing the the Wheatland style tractors. That Minneapolis-Moline has seen better days.

5. Screwloose

Screwloose

The 2 stroke Detroits really have a great sound

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Dad wanted to go to the Ohio JD 2 banger club show last Friday, which was at the local fairgrounds...so the boy and I went and picked him up...wandered around for a while, ate some WAY overpriced fair food, then spent the rest of the time there watching the pulls...it was all 2 bangers, except for the last class had a few 40, 50, and 60 series tractors...3 of them detroit diesel conversions...surprisingly (probably shouldn't have been) an old R model pulled right in the same neighborhood as the 6 cylinders.
    Dad told the story (again) of a grudge match pulloff that happened at that same fairgrounds when he was a kid...it was between a JD 820 and a then newer Oliver (dad thought it was a 6 cylinder model) and it was unlimited weight and no mod restrictions...dad said one reason he remembers it so well was that when the JD got down to the end and the "putts" seem to have ended, it would then let out one more "putt" and leap ahead a couple more inches....sounds like this went on for longer than anyone could have anticipated too...the JD won...BUT, the Oliver broke too, so...
    The cool thing was that last Sunday I was at a car show and ran into an old timer that we know and the topic of this old time grudge match tractor pull came up...he said "yup, I was there too" and he confirmed all the same details that dads version of the story contained...pretty cool. It sounded like every farmer in the county must have been there that night.

FarmerJ, Screwloose, Chaz and 12 others like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Oh, and someone in that last class entered a 5020 (IIRC) with duals on it...been a LONG time since I've seen that...I suspected that maybe it wouldn't work out, and it didn't, lots of power, and no traction...kind of ironic, huh? This track, like most, is a hard clay track...you need high PSI on your contact patch to get anywhere

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Looks like a great way to spend an evening off. :tractor:
    Been a while since I've been to the Buck. Just told the wife I'd like to see top fuel again.

9. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. Love the old JD twins. My dad is letting me have my uncle's old JD 40 17 hp. Will need to get it pulled out one of these days as it should run with little work.

10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Oh for the days when real men had real fun and the safety nannies were no where to be found.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I hear ya...when was the last time you've heard of an "anything goes" tractor pull?!
    Dad said he remembers them having huge chunks of steel chained all over the 820...he said it looked like maybe someone got some ingots from a steel mill...:thumbs:
    Sounds like the 2 tractor owners were local farmers turned dealer of sorts...I imagine that the competition (and smack talkin) was pretty hot n heavy...heck there is still a pretty deeply ingrained loyalty to the 2 different shades of green in this area...and the old Oliver - White - Agco dealer was literally right across the street from the fairgrounds back in the day.

FarmerJ, Screwloose, JimBear and 6 others like this.
  12. JimBear

JimBear

We aren’t in Dixie but my 16 y/o niece has taking a liking to pulling tractors. She pulled this one last year once, pulled it last night & will be pulling it on Friday night at the local county fair. I would post a vid but I don’t have the proper accounts.

94791405-9D6C-4C6E-9912-941759E55CAA.jpeg

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's so cool. I wish her the best of luck with all she does.
    I would like to see that class of tractors down here some. Saw some years ago like that...

14. yooperdave

yooperdave

What a great smile! You know she's having fun!

15. JimBear

JimBear

Here’s her pulling at the county fair last year
    in the first vid & pulling a couple nights ago in the second

https://youtu.be/AcWJ5e92jc

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. Share more when she pulls.

17. JimBear

JimBear

Well the coil crapped out on the tractor last night. She had a good hook, got out of the hole well & things looked to be shaping up nicely for a good run, then. A better cameraman probably would not shared his thoughts on the proceedings…

This gal won the class, she is about 25 & a local also. It her dads tractor he usually pulls it in the 6500# open class, the regular class is 6000# Hotrod.

2353FEFF-A413-4470-BFB4-9CE17C18FE71.jpeg

18. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:D.... Good video... Use to love going to them and Mud Runs...... Use to have a big Tractor pull down in Oklahoma, just into Oklahoma cant remember where. But They had brought in the Original BigFoot in one year and another year they brought in a Jet powered vehicle...

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep, looked like a good run going.

FarmerJ, Screwloose, JimBear and 2 others like this.
  20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    So I had to look up what a tractor pull was all about. I have never heard of them before. You can tell I am from the very west coast!