In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Big oak score.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by James Miller, Jun 25, 2022.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Biggest i ever cut was 39-40" red oak blowdown with Eric Wanderweg at his neighbors. Couldnt move the trunk and finish the cuts so it still sits. I have used the 36" bar multiple times on BIG wood. Not fond of working big logs but they are fun to buck.

2. James Miller

James Miller

Noodle and then buck is the only option I have to deal with stuff that big. Most of my noodling cuts where done with the little 4910 cause I didn't want to swing the big saw all day.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Now that ive seen you and Jason do it this way ill file it away in the memory bank (wherever that is in my head) for future use. Most of the ones ive bucked that big have been elevated enough to cut all the way through and roll. Most of my noodling is done with the bigger saws. I prefer the 500i with a 20" bar although i noodled some gnarly mulberry chunks today with the 261. Those are both Stihl's btw! ;)

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Nice work James Miller ! I too handle a lot of big oaks. Getting tired of it. 660 with a 28" bar and .404 chain goes through it pretty well though.

5. James Miller

James Miller

I've run both of those saws. Ran a 500i at one of farmer Steve's GTGs before they were available in the states. Funny how a saw that wasn't available yet can show up in the back of some guys truck.

6. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Holy smokes! You have huge wood, sir!!

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Great find. Only thing better would be to find that during cooler weather. Also that was great helping out another family.

8. James Miller

James Miller

PXL_20220624_191846993.jpg PXL_20220621_204833911.MP~2.jpg Working on getting it put up. No space at the house racks so I filled the shorts and uglies cage. Not optimal but it was what I had. The rest is being stacked on pallets at a property up the road.

9. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

So I believe more in "sewing and reaping" than luck, chance or even karma.
    Like many here, we have devoted time and energy to putting up wood for folks in need. Most of the time they're older folks who shouldnt be swinging mauls and playing with saws, and who lack the energy, stamina, and sometimes outright ability to move wood.

We've always been blessed with free and usually easy to get wood. We have also been blessed with the finances, tools, and energy for the same.

Things we have recieved: 3500 dually, free. First chainsaw, free. A rather new Avalon, free.
    Last year we supplied a couple fellows with wood. Someone else gave us 3 cord of 1 year seasoned CSS oak. This year, I CSS 4 cord for a friend. Someone else gave us a solid 3 cord of 1 year seasoned CSS oak and ash (they moved south a few weeks ago).

I have a very good friend, partially disabled, who loves chucking and stacking with me. He's moved more wood with me over the last 10 years, than probably any one other person. Last summer, 2 neighbor kids would wander into my yard when I was out stacking. 11 & 13 yo. They came back, uninvited, multiple times, just to chuck wood at me as I stacked. 9 cord got moved.

When we got the most recent truck, it was garaged, 95k miles, 2007, 5.7 hemi. For a stupid good price. It was perfect, free of unneeded electronical things (tpms, tv on the dash). It was also a bit more truck than I would really need as a daily driver. I wondered why we "fell into" that deal. This week, thinking about the folks who now have wood to heat with, it finally made sense why the truck came into our hands.

Somewhere it is written about heavenly treasure. some where else, about to whom much is given, much is expected. Makes us feel like we're here for such a time as this, and in our case, for a Kingdom many of us here, and here geographically, serve.

Taking a few moments to soak in it this morning (In the war room).

IMG_20220626_082122.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Well done and well executed sir!

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Great post.

Sirchopsalot likes this.