In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Out of state vehicle registrations.....

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Sirchopsalot, Jun 18, 2022.

  1. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    In Ct, I have noticed an abundance of personal (non comercial) license plates from another neighboring state, on trailers towed by CT or MA registered vehicles.

    My guess is that registrations and possibly taxes are more tolerable from the other state.
    My trailer is registered in my own state, and of course I'm apropriately thugged for fees by my state annually.

    I'm looking for your experiences good or bad, That you won't get in trouble for putting into print!
    Sca
     
  2. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,548
    Likes Received:
    67,735
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    My motorcycle is registered in Vermont. Reason being, I didn’t have all the required documentation when I bought it to register it in CT. Long story… Anyway, Vermont has no residency requirement for people that want to register a vehicle there. I downloaded and filled out all the required paperwork, attached some pictures showing the VIN number and the bike overall, my proof of valid insurance, added my money order(s), and mailed it all to Montpelier. Within a couple weeks I got a license plate in the mail along with my registration certificate. Now that it’s registered in my name, I’m recognized by the CT DMV as the legal owner and can transfer it to a CT registration (after I make an appointment, and bring it to the main hub in Wethersfield for an inspection/VIN verification). I’ll probably do that at some point because CT municipalities are cracking down on people like me. Hey, the harder the DMV makes it to register a vehicle here, the more people are going to utilize loopholes. It’s a simple concept The Machine fails to grasp when it comes to top-down edicts.
     
    theburtman and Sirchopsalot like this.
  3. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,079
    Likes Received:
    17,004
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Vermont allows non residents to register trailers, motorcycles and vehicles.

    I’ll often see VT plates on occasion in CT. FLA ones too. I don’t believe VT or FL charges property taxes on vehicles.
     
    Sirchopsalot likes this.
  4. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    I've kinda decided not to register my next vehicle out of state.
    CT absolutely sux in about every way I can imagine, BUT, I would be avoiding taxes (which wouldn't be that much) by registering out of state.
    I don't see a need to possibly have trouble down the road, at least not for the sake of $20-30/year savings.
    Sca