In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) shortage from June 2022 to Sept 2022

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Knothead, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Knothead

Knothead

Diesel users such as semi-truck drivers and RV owners will soon be paying more for diesel exhaust fluid (DEF). The main component of DEF is a chemical compound called urea, a byproduct of industrial ammonia production. Russia exports the most urea. It is engaged in war with Ukraine. The cost for a 2 1/2 gallon jug of DEF is $11.40 currently. The price of the same gallon of DEF was around $9 one year ago. Tier 4 models after 2010 must use DEF to function correctly.

The shortage of DEF is also a global problem, not just a United States problem. Because of this, the urea fertilizer shortage will not resolve quickly, and it is going to impact both food production and the transportation sector. These shortages will drive inflation even higher.

So hang on to your pocketbooks if you own a diesel engine. My 2014 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel just got more expensive to drive (not to mention the price for diesel fuel!)

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) shortage means some diesel users will be paying more (msn.com)

DEF Fluid - Diesel Exhaust Fluid Shortage from June 2022 to Sept 2022 (buysinopec.com)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  2. Eckie

Eckie

Unfortunately DEF is also used in fire engines, ambulances, fire dozers etc etc. DEF is a major PITA and has caused us multiple issues.

I believe I've heard (probably on here) that it can be disabled? I've also heard that it might can, but can cause further issues? I dunno. I do know that our Directorate of Public Works has started moving away from diesel for their fleet.

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A couple bucks a gallon sux. (Not the end of the world, but ....) not being able to get it at all, will really suck!!
    We've already got trucker shortages, and redonculous fuel surcharges on deliveries, but when def shortages start, and emissions defeating devices start getting popular, it's not going to end well...
    What are the truckers going to do? Quit trucking, or make their trucks run without def?
    I know my answer...:zip:

4. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Quite possibly. Hydrogen fuel cell is pretty nifty at the scale required for a Class VIII truck. But today's hydrogen production is mostly dependent of the same supply chain that supplies diesel fuel. Round and round we go.

5. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Another thought here - one trip down I85 from CLT to ATL and you wonder why all of that freight isn't moving moving via rail. Everyday that highway is clogged with both commuters and trucks moving freight between CLT and ATL, plus distributing into and out of the inland port (Which connects the whole mega-metro area to the seaport in Charleston via rail) here in Greenville.

6. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I know our ambulance is deleted as we don’t run that far in our small community. Typical call, including to and from hospital, is only about 20-50 miles. The ambulance would always cause regen issues so it was deleted. Also tuned at the same time which causes some to think we need to run 100+mph on all calls :hair::bug: Can be scary in the back with some.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I caught some discussion of DEF on TG and it sounds really bad. They were particularly worried about new new engines and the trucks in Cali (strict emissions rules). All our roofing materials are trucked, from all over, crud.

8. Eckie

Eckie

We have about 35-45 miles (one way) to any of the hospitals we transport to. At least our medics have a way to see what % they're at before a regen, and can make them to regen when they're sitting on the apron.

Fire trucks, not so much....

9. Knothead

Knothead

I just returned from DEF shopping in my local hometown, here are the results for a 2.5 gallon jug of Peak Blue DEF:

Tractor Supply, $16.95, normal inventory supply.
    Walmart, $17.95, somewhat limited inventory
    O'Reilly's and AutoZone $16.50 normal inventory supply
    My local grocery store $14.99, very limited supply

I also watched a local news cast last night about the upcoming DEF shortage, once the panic buying kicks into high gear (hording) the price of DEF will go thru the roof. Good Luck my friends.

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:(

11. Screwloose

Screwloose

Could be a good investment to stock up. At least alleviate the mental anguish when the shelves are empty.

12. tree killer

tree killer

EFI Live delete and tune $600 when I may or may not have done it. I don’t worry about DEF or regens anymore, or poor DEF quality NOX sensor issues or limp mode or anything else.

13. JimBear

JimBear

You can buy it in 55 gallon drums, it’s cheaper than 2-1/2 jugs but also need a way to unload it. My brother & buddy usually buy it that way. About all new diesel farm equipment use it also.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Do they have any trouble with it crystallizing? My employer went back to the 2.5 gall jugs because the barrels always went bad before empty...and they are running a whole fleet of trucks/equipment.

15. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Been reading/hearing they are quitting already because of high fuel prices.

I’m so glad I got rid of the pee juice on my 2500. All of these recent events truly feels like a reenactment of Atlas Shrugged that we are witnessing! Where’s John Galt when you need him?

16. JimBear

JimBear

I haven’t noticed it crystallizing & neither of them have said anything. I do know that it’s recommended that it’s not to be stored in freezing temps, which makes zero sense to me since farm equipment & vehicles are sitting & operating in freezing conditions a lot in colder climates.

TurboDiesel, Knothead and brenndatomu like this.
  17. Eckie

Eckie

We've been told that when we open a jug, we are to use it all. No open pieces of a jug....it crystallizes or goes bad somehow, and that using previously opened jugs causes issues (more than the "normal" issues). Not sure of the time-line between it being opened and it "going bad".

TurboDiesel, Knothead and brenndatomu like this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Barrel was in heated shop.
    Same here.

TurboDiesel, Knothead and Eckie like this.