Leaner, dead center. EAB is here, unfortunately. It leafed out last year. Nothing in the crown. Nothing but a couple of EWP in the way,, when it gets dropped. I'm in now hurry to get it down, unless I get an itchy trigger finger.
Any shoots coming off the main trunk? Last ditch effort to survive. Is that the only one Mike? Did the one by the firepit leaf out?
The bigger one between the house and screenhouse, did leaf out. There are some branches that didn't, however. There's another one that died off, down hill, at the edge of the side street. Given the road and wires, I'm not going near it. Technically, it might be on town property, as they own a certain amount in from the road. My understanding, anyways. There are other ash trees around, but they're probably doomed.
Call the town and maybe they will take down the one near the road. Of course they usually dont do anything until something falls down. I left one of the dead ones in my woods that i though may still be alive, but didnt leaf out. Not too many in the woods and all are dead. Been working them again earlier this month as i have rounds and logs still on the ground. Go figure! Wood to work on in my own woods, but i still scrounge! Thrill of the score i guess.
I don't know all the details, but there is something you can spray on the tree to help (im not sure what the chemical is or what it does...yeah, im real helpful, right?). At one time va dept of forestry had some kind of program (maybe cost share) to help treat ash. Point being you might could figure out what chemical to try to do what you could if the remaining met whatever criteria there may be, if you were so inclined.
Today I had a gentleman from the KY Div of Forestry come out and look around my property. I have several dead/dying/down ash. I also have some that have good canopy. Even though they have noticeable signs of ash borer damage he told me that it looks like they'll survive and that for some reason they were able to overcome. He said they might send someone out to collect seed from them. Additionally he said that I should treat them. Any brand as long as it contains Imidacloprid. Hope that was helpful and hello! Long time listener. Love all your stories!
I hear you about not being in a hurry to cut it down. I always hate when my favorite trees get sick. I always delay putting them down for a year or two... At least you can have it cremated!
Hey Annie, welcome to here. Mike, any chance a couple guys could get a line around the Ash by the road and pull it in if its not leaning too hard? Always trying to find a way.....its one of those you "might be a wood hoarder if" items. Sca
It's a biggun that leans towards the street and wires. Thick trunk with spreading branches. Good idea, though.
I've picked up buZZsaw's "wood snob" tendencies. I've turned down a couple scrounges because I'd have had to haul wood up a hill (risk 1) to a kinda busy street (risk 2) with zero place to park (last straw). And, I have easier scores at hand. I'd help a fellow hoarder with those risks at play. Sorry to hear of EAB in your area though. Sca
We had at least 20 ash trees on our property in CT when we bought it back in 2001. We took a number down a few years later to open up the backyard. All the others have unfortunately died off from the EAB. It’s a shame; very good wood. Wonder if they’ll develop an Ash that’s resistant to the EAB.
From what I hear once you are starting to see trees failing, its too late, the bug has been around for a couple years already, and the damage is done. As far as treating them, people say its kind of expensive to treat more than just a couple trees...and if you aren't vigilant, the lil green monsters will win anyways.
Not an expert in ash trees at all. From what I’ve seen you can’t wait too long. They get quite dangerous to cut fairly rapidly.