In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree id

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, May 28, 2022.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    I’ve led a very sheltered life when it comes to differing species. Stopped by the local wood dump and noticed these. Can’t quite figure out what they are. First thought was some type of hickory but no dark center.

    16F503B3-2EEB-4D97-8339-A829B023972A.jpeg 88FD477F-8EB3-4668-BB33-E48F1E730A77.jpeg 91516585-BC65-4BDE-B568-E5C160251664.jpeg
     
  2. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,260
    Likes Received:
    54,105
    Location:
    NC
    Looks like Mockernut bark to me. Nice size logs :yes:
     
    Chazsbetterhalf, Ron T and jo191145 like this.
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    That would be nice. Started thinking maybe it’s elm. I have no idea what an elm tree looks like. Just didn’t want to be that guy that brought home the dreaded elm :)
     
  4. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,260
    Likes Received:
    54,105
    Location:
    NC
    Now that you mention it, the 2 have similar bark pattern. Can you cut off a chunk and take it home to test? I wouldn’t mind having elm logs. Lots of nice straight logs at that dump.
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,838
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Growth rings look a little tight for elm. Unless the bark is somewhat spongy, and you’re easily able to pull pieces off, I’d lean towards hickory myself.
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and jo191145 like this.
  6. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    the test being difficult to split vs impossible to split?
     
    Eckie and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    It has a shattered end buried under the pile that was reminiscent of the shag hickory that snapped in half on my property. Long sharp thin needle type splinters. Toothpicks.
     
  8. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,260
    Likes Received:
    54,105
    Location:
    NC
    Yes hard and stringy or impossibly stringy
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and jo191145 like this.
  9. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,838
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    HICKREEEEE!
     
    Chazsbetterhalf, Ron T and jo191145 like this.
  10. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    I wonder if elm would split needley?
    Pic of the shag that got shattered. I would love to have a video of that collision. The other half is laying in front of the atv.
    Now I’ve got Rolling Stones in my head. Pun intended.

    AAE5EB3E-A9F7-48AA-905D-793E04115916.jpeg
     
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,778
    Likes Received:
    215,132
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    It is hickory...pignut to be exact, just the ends have dried and weathered. Did you take any? Dont make me come up there. :rofl: :lol:

    EDIT: didnt read the other replies. Ive heard of mockernut, but cant say ive seen one in person. Hickory can be stringy and ive had it split clean like oak. Stringy isnt a word id use to describe splitting elm. Like splitting steel wool.
     
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  12. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    I’ll probably grab it. Finally put the new winch on. Got a new toy coming I hope. When it’s all integrated with my other toys I’ll invite you up for a play date. :)
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,778
    Likes Received:
    215,132
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Toy? Sounds like fun. Im game for a day of cutting.

    I was in East Haddam couple weekends ago, but not much time to stop by. Working over there doing chain saw stuff and carpentry. Prolly be there Monday too
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and jo191145 like this.