In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

90 mph

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by TurboDiesel, May 14, 2022.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Geez, and I lost my license for a month for 90 in a 55! Super Trooper was pretty grouchy about it too! :rofl: :lol: He knew I was going faster, but scrubbed off a few MPH when I seen him...apparently it took him a second to get a lock on me. :whistle:

Jack Straw, Ohio, eatonpcat and 9 others like this.
  3. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

It's all about where ya do it. On our way out to Yellowstone in '09 with my '08 Vette Z51, we were driving across South Dakota on I-90. I had the cruise set for probably around 80mph, my other half was sleeping and there was nobody around.....highway flat as a pancake. I said screw this. I just left it in 6th gear and leaned on the throttle a bit. I cruised for about 15 minutes at about 140-150mph. She had no idea. Car was planted and felt awesome at those speeds. That was the first and only time I got to -sustain- speeds like that so I really got a chance to pay attention to how the car felt. It was awesome! We also hauled some butt across Montana on the way back. I remember consistently driving 100-120 on two lane roads for quite awhile while crossing the northern part of the state on HWY 2. We gained a boat load of time on the GPS and when we -had- to slow down to 70 (got back into civilization), it felt like we could get out and walk. :hair: I knew I was going to stretch the cars legs a bit on that trip. I actually called my insurance agent a week or so before we left and asked him how my insurance company deals with out of state tickets, as I knew I had an elevated risk of getting one with how I was planning on driving. He told me that they did not run DMV reports on current clients. That was news to my ears. It's not so much the fine, it's the hiked insurance rates for years. That's the gift that keeps on taking.

Seems that 140-150 is the edge of my comfort limit though. When I am out messing around rowing threw the gears, I always seem to shut 'er down when I reach those speeds. It's almost like I get sensory overload or something trying to process too much information too fast and I start to feel uneasy. It may be different if I were not on a public road where not only do I have to watch for other vehicles, animals, road debris, etc,...but also cops.

I don't know if I'd want to take a boat anchor like that Hellcat to those speeds though. Those things are made for straight line acceleration and do not handle all that great due to their obscene weight and higher center of gravity. I'm guessing it felt pretty "floaty" and not very stable at 165. I had my '77 Cutlass to 120, and that was scary. You don't dare turn the wheel. :eek:

damm, I've always heard how you don't mess around with speeding in OH.

Eckie, Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and 8 others like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Oh heck, thats childs play on I99...lol

Back in the late 80's or early 90's my BIL pulled up to the Sheetz and there's an impala sitting there idling...with this redonculous idle. A guy is walking out of the store dressed in a mechanic's coveralls. So BIL strikes up a conversation about the car. Dude is a Pa State Police mechanic and had just built this 454 ci cruiser for a chase vehicle on I99 because they were having trouble stopping speeders (bikes)

Looked like this but no markings/lights or push bars. Lol

Mechanic said they clocked the chase car with radar (iirc) at 145mph. :eek:
    (Of course that doesn't sound like much, but 35 years ago, that was dang fast for a family car and a pushrod v8!)

chevy_impala_police_car.jpg

5. lukem

lukem

My buddy had a retired farm truck...and it looked like a retired farm truck. 95 Ram 2500....2 tone rust. He is a diesel mechanic and had it all kinds of turned up. Flatlined the dyno at well over 1000HP. Did 1/2 mile burnouts. Lots of fun.

He got pulled over one day doing 120 and the cop couldn't believe the truck could go that fast. Ended up with a ticket for 10 over.

6. tree killer

tree killer

117 in a 45 back in the day. I was going up a pretty good hill and backing out of it because I had to make a 90 degree left to get home. Cop still hates me to this day. Sawed off little puke AKA Mario from donkey Kong.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Its true...you can certainly find better places to speed! :rofl: :lol:

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm sure...but this was on a 2 lane county rd...had I not been slowing down for the cop (should have keep the hammer down, took him a bit to catch up to me) I would have gotten a lil air time at the next crossroad/intersection. (was on my bike)

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Keep your rubber side down

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A buddy of mine, about 30 years ago, tried jumping a bridge. After several attempts, he laid the bike down in a ditch on the landing side of the bridge. There was about a 45° turn at the end of a 120' (?) bridge. Yea, he got busted up...:picard:

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

He had people watch the intersection at the white building so he could get enough speed up. The crash site was right at the bottom of the picture.
    Luckily there was a set concrete steps up to a church there to catch him. :rofl: :lol:
    upload_2022-5-15_6-50-32.png

And, no. Thats not the only crash he had on a bike...lol
    The other time, he tried to scare a horse, and ran off the road. Lol:rofl: :lol:

12. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Funny story shared at church this morning. My friend Rick (same guy who brought the case of Kimbers to coffee one morning) shared how he graduated in 1969. Had a nice car at the time. He said he opened gifts and had $175 in cash given! He said he thought he was rich! Had plans for a great night on the town…
    Loaded car up with fiends and cruising town in his Chevelle SS, with no exhaust, and was running hard, lights off thru Main Street. Wouldn’t ya know it, cop shows up and he gets stopped… cost em $183 that night. :rofl: :lol::headbang::rofl: :lol:

13. XXL

XXL

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think the TV show "Dukes of Hazzard" inspired much stupidity in a certain generation...:whistle:

15. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

You mean like my daisy dukes?!?

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, that certainly wasn't the angle I was thinking of, but now that you mention it, yeah, there may have been some stupidity inspired there too! :rofl: :lol:

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

In case anyone else needs to throw up.......:picard:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:rofl: :lol::picard::picard:… this went down into a free fall and never made the jump….:doh:

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, at least you had the decency to not post a pic where their butt cheeks are half hangin out...unlike the one pic that popped up in another thread earlier this week. :picard::picard:
    And in the interest of historical accuracy, and equal opportunity posting (but mainly for the youngsters that don't know what we talkin about) :whistle: here's a pic
    [​IMG]

20. Ron T

Ron T

I'm partial to new school Jessica-Simpson--900x1600.jpeg

Warner, WeldrDave, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.