In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any experience with these?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Gasifier, Oct 20, 2013.

  1. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    They are $227/ton here.. Not bad.

    Sets are $220 at my local hardware store and $200 at Menards ($175 on sale) :)
     
  2. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    I agree
     
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Okay, I am missing the alerts on this thread apparently. Will fix that. So far I went through the six bags of the Green Team Platinum. The stove did fine in heating the place. I cleaned it after six days. Doesn't seem like a lot of ash but I am just getting started so nothing to compare to yet. I have now gone over to the Natures Own Fuel that Lowe's had for the little less expensive brand this time in. I bought 4 bags of those. I also stopped and bought 6 bags of the curran blend to see what they are like. The building supply store sold me the 6 bags at the ton price of 4.38/ bag or $219/ton. It went down to about 22-24 degrees last night depending on thermometer and the camp stayed right around 50 or so. An old "locker" my wife bought a while back holds three bags and looks cool in the camp.
     

    Attached Files:

    eatonpcat, smoke show and will711 like this.
  4. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    That locker idea is pretty cool:cool:
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Just curious, for those who own a Harmon, why would you not go with cost savings unless the pellet had a reputation of being very bad, nuts and bolts in it etc. I thought the whole point of owning that stove was because it could perform well with about any pellet you wanted to put in it. The extra cost associated with the purchase of that stove should be off set by the savings realized in the ability to satisfactorily heat with the lower cost pellets.
     
  6. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I have burned all of the cheaper brands that Lowe's carried the last few years $4.38/bag, this year price went up to $4.82/bag :eek:. My local stove shop used to carry GAP's for $3.90 -$4.25 / bag GAP's out a business:( they carry Turman's for $4.80 and I like to support the local guy and they are super nice folks , so that's what this Harman owner does .
     
  7. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    If my stove was upstairs MWP would be fine all season. But come bitter winter cold, I need all the horsepower I can get from the basement up.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  8. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    $240/ton for Turman's is a real good deal....I'd be loading up at that price.
     
    will711 likes this.
  9. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    This price has been the same for 4 + yrs now storage is my problem or I would be loading up an applying for my Pig Status :)
    I have room for about 90 bags .
     
  10. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Tell imacman how much they were during that fair you went to! Load 'em up!!!!!
     
    will711 likes this.
  11. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    They were $230 end of August:D
     
    jtakeman, DexterDay and slvrblkk like this.
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    This is my first pellet stove and I am just getting started with it. I am now one full week in. So I am trying several brands 4-6 bags at a time to see how they do. But soon I will be buying 3 or 4 tons to get me through the season at the camp. I figure Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb., Mar.. 5 months X 30 days in a month. Average 1 bag a day. 150 bags. 3 tons.
     
  13. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    :drool:
     
    jtakeman and will711 like this.
  14. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I am now into the Curran blends and they seem to be burning pretty nicely. Ash is about the same as the ones I bought at Lowe's. I will decide soon on buying a ton or four. What's this thing about pig status? :confused:
     
  15. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Is that how some of you pellet guys buy yours? Buy a ton, or four.

    No. Not your pellets. You beer. Geesh, you guys sound like you drink a lot. :rolleyes: I'll be back in a minute. I need to get a ...... :emb: And some :popcorn:
     
  16. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    The Currans seem to burn well, but I think I will be able to tell better when I have the stove turned up a little higher. I have some time today and tomorrow to spend here off and on and am going to turn the setting up. I am going to wait to judge them until I am through the bags. I have three in the hopper now and one more left. So I have gone through two or a little more.
     

    Attached Files:

  17. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Green supreme. We will see how these burn now. Got sidetracked the other day. Never got the Cubex.:mad:
     

    Attached Files:

  18. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Gas....you're killing me! lol I'm not saying those are bad pellets (ok I might be!) but what I'm saying is can't you find anything better? ;) Let us know how they burn for you...I hate 'em but your mileage may vary....
     
    will711 and savemoney like this.
  19. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Don't expect much......:confused:
     
    savemoney likes this.
  20. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Oh man. I just grabbed them cus they were there! Didn't know they were junk. I only bought three bags. Think I will turn the stove up a little now! LOL.