In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A little spring cleaning

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by The Wood Wolverine, May 8, 2022.

  1. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,852
    Likes Received:
    121,365
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    After over 4” of rain recently, I had the itch to get after my stacks. Since the ground is too soft to move main splits, I decided to finish splitting all my BL and load up what I had set aside for my parents. Got them a decent trailer load and will be giving all my stump/shorts/uglies except the locust.

    Started off w/ a hiccup. Truck battery completely dead. Must have left an interior light on. It was pulled into my carport and my spare battery didn’t have enough to jump it. Had to pull it back to jump w/ the Honda.
    EFEA4B28-09F6-47B4-94D1-6ABF440C1076.jpeg
    21660FEC-C36C-46C7-99F7-E2F69A468AFB.jpeg 9A6BBA96-4FF4-481F-9741-338C921D9413.jpeg 0224B7EA-44FB-4C89-BFC4-62930E423BE7.jpeg

    All the BL is processed, just need to stack it with the rest.
    14ABC05F-6135-4D12-9D3C-6C6D8D0FE614.jpeg
    Once I get that done, I can start bringing more oak home from the honey hole.


    Happy Mothers Day to all the FHC moms out there!!
     
  2. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    That is one old-school wheelhorse!

    I second the Mother's Day wish to our moms, and the wives who keep after their men as if they were kids from time to time.
    Sca
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,743
    Likes Received:
    214,872
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Stinks about the dead battery. Used to do that quite a bit on my old truck. Nice to make progress and especially to open up space for more rounds! That means more :saw: time!
     
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,852
    Likes Received:
    121,365
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I’m really wanting to get back to sawing! I was out of space to store rounds. Now I’m out of space to stack splits. :picard: Need more acreage!
     
  5. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,112
    Likes Received:
    163,178
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Wonder what the sprout is on that one round? (baby BL?)
    Just FYI, I'd put that battery on a small charger overnight, or whenever you can for a longer period...a nice long low amperage charge will saturate the plates better than just letting the trucks alternator charge it back up...you probably won't notice a difference, but it will take some life off your battery if you don't. If the battery is older, a total draw down like that can be the beginning of the end for them...and I dunno if you have seen the price of a good battery lately, but wow!
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,743
    Likes Received:
    214,872
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    it grows weird and get these deep crevices where compost builds up creating an ideal medium for seeds to take root in.
     
  7. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,486
    Likes Received:
    188,756
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Glad you are getting some weather for outside work to be done. Making good progress
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,743
    Likes Received:
    214,872
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I feel the same way! Can you extend either end of your stacks?
     
  9. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,852
    Likes Received:
    121,365
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    My app said the sprout is/was bittersweet. I too wondered if there was any way this tree was still trying to grow.

    And I have the battery plugged into my Battery Tender. Probably keep it on there till next use. :yes:

    Yes I could but it would start shading my garden. I plan to pack my basement w/ 2.5 cords this spring to make room for more chestnut oak. And I could go taller, it's not hateful to stand in my wagon to stack splits.