In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A new hat for the splitter.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by jo191145, Mar 27, 2022.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,439
    Location:
    Ct
    Making progress. Got a few pieces tacked in place.
    Even pulled it out and ran a few pieces of old oak through it just to get an idea on angles for the rest of the blades.

    D0F33B61-517A-495E-B439-1D56E2711702.jpeg
     
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,574
    Location:
    US
    That’s some serious serrations jo191145 :handshake:

    I’m not too familiar with what I assume will be a box style? What is the thought process behind the serrations? Better “clean out?” Or...?
     
  3. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,466
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,439
    Location:
    Ct
    Who says there was a thought process LOL
    Ok actually there was. This ACL splitter is made more for speed than power. 4” ram. Somehow my imagination convinced me it’s easier for a machine to split with less knife area beginning the initial split. Wish I had gone with 30* angle instead of 35* but it plowed through some old oak rounds at an idle.
    The real test comes with getting the angles of the cutters below properly aligned. Gotta keep it a splitter and not an extruder :)
    Lot of work still to be done. I don’t plan on stuffing big nasty crotches through it.
     
    brenndatomu, Eric VW and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,574
    Location:
    US
    Good deal.
    Hey, I work in the extruder industry…:yes:
    :zip:

    :rofl: :lol:
     
    jo191145 and brenndatomu like this.