In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Planning a New Woodshed

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by scarps68, Feb 23, 2022.

1. scarps68

scarps68

So it looks like I came up short this year, which means I need another (and bigger) wood shed. I'm planning at least a 25x10x8 lean-to where those pallets are. I'm going to try and clear out as much of that brush as possible. Has any one used one of those chain brush grubbers? Are they any good, or does anyone have a better idea for those pricker bushes?

Trees with the X's are coming down tomorrow. Thank goodness for tree removal friends ;)

0EA6A587-F5AF-4F88-9293-60B31B4397CC_1_105_c.jpeg DC0CD41E-C02A-4680-9E48-D5E052CF00EF_1_105_c.jpeg 5E711EC2-AB89-444C-9EA5-14FF3548FAE2_1_105_c.jpeg

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice looking area you have there Scarps! :thumbs:
    You can never have enough room when it comes to wood. Nice that you have the extra room to expand.
    Ive used old hand held hedge clippers to chop them and pulled them out by the rootball otherwise they keep growing back. Never have used a brush cutter. May be able to rent one or attachment for a weed whacker???

3. rotorburn

rotorburn

US GI 18” sawback machete by Ontario knife. The thick one. Accept no substitute.

4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Best solution to the brush is mow it if you have a rental center near most have the walk behind brush cutters some rental centers have the skid loader brush mowers that work great last is if you are going to use a weed eater to cut the brush they make a blade with chainsaw teeth on it they work great I sell a good many of those if you are not digging the stump out after you cut be sure to treat the cut stump with a herbicide to kill the root or it will come back JB

5. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, build as big of a shed as you can.

I have one of those brush grubber. They work. Just need an ATV at least out better yet a tractor to pull the buggers out. A truck will work too, if there's enough room.

That said, I think renting a brush cutter is the best option. I rented a billy goat hydraulic one a couple years back from my local hardware store.

6. Jon_E

Jon_E

I have a brush grubber. Doesn't work very well. I usually just wrap the brush at ground level with a chain and attach it to my tractor. Alternately, cut it off a couple feet above grade then pull out the stump. Depending on what it is, it may come out easy or not at all. Honeysuckle in particular has shallow roots and comes right out, but you have to get it all or it grows back.

T.Jeff Veal, scarps68 and Woodsnwoods like this.
  7. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Go big!!!! I have roughly a 32x8 and it’s not big enough. The three year plan helps,as you will never run out!!!

8. scarps68

scarps68

Working on that 3 year plan lol. I just didn't realize how much we burn in a single year. Since the shutdown (wife has been working from home), we're burning almost 66% more wood!

9. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Amen to the wife home=more wood argument!!!!

Softwood, scarps68 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  10. scarps68

scarps68

She was more upset about running short than I was :D

Woodsnwoods and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  11. B.Brown

B.Brown

Don't forget it takes about 12 months depending on the wood to cure out, some longer, and be burnable. So, keep cutting /splitting/ stacking, covering your newest wood now. SPRING IS COMING!! I'm thinking about extending my wood shed now. I've got a dandy steel home built table buried in my wood pile at this time. Going to get the wood off it, and get the ''table'' uncovered so i can put a vice on it, and actually be able to use it, eventually, lol. i'll see if i can post the picture of it pretty soon.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    Woodsnwoods and scarps68 like this.