Do they actually work ok? I had heard the cheaper chain sharpeners tended to have enough slop that they were iffy at best. This was coming from my buddy with a $500+ dollar sharpener so I don't know if he is just jaded lol
Lots of info out there on improving them for cheap but in my experience, they do work pretty well out of the box.
I have the foot pedal attachment for the chain clamp on mine and that grinder is fantastic. Uber pricey but fantastic nonetheless.
I don't have one but , some people on the forum do and say they work well . Some other people have the Timber Tuff , which is exactly the same. If all you do is sharpen your own chains ,I cant see spending $500 on a chain grinder
You need to learn how to grind a chain. I paid a dealer to ruin 2 of my chains. A guy I used to work with really knew how to grind a chain, I believe the secret is to grind lightly to prevent over heating the chain.
I can't either, that is why I drove an hour to pick the one up yesterday. I wasn't looking for one, but I couldn't pass this one up for the price that was asked.
I have the cheapest one you can buy. Its the Harbor freight one for $29.99. Go slowly with a light touch and I can sharpen 3x better than I could by hand and can probably out sharpen 7 out of 10 people here if they were hand fileing. Not doped wise im talking uniformity and sharpness. I see the same sharpeners same name and some just like it with no name straight from china listed on eBay for more than I paid.
The Northern is the same as the Timber Tuff and thats what I have. For a $100 it is 1,000 Times better than the HF unit. This is a Cast construction with adjustable head angles and 3 different stones. For the money, you wont find one better unless you hit the $400-$500 and up range. Stay away from Plastic frames. They twist and torque to much. Don't mind the 361... Look bbehind it. The beautiful Green Machine
I thought you had a Timber Tuff but wasn't sure . I am thinking of pulling the trigger on The Northern I have an HF unit paid $25 it works but I do not like it
For $100, you'll love it... I spent $200 on a "Name Brand" model and I couldn't tell it was a plastic frame. Used it a few times. It works, but I do a bunch of chains for friends amd neighbors. Needed something built stronger. So I bought a TT and the other one will be a Raffle or Prize at our GTG at Swags this coming May. For the average cutter, its more than they would need.
I have looked at the northern ones this summer. They looked good but I am impressed with the hf unit the times I have used it. I have sharpened exclusively for about 2 yrs with it. Not bad. The key is taking your time. If u yank it down it will torque if you go slow there is not a problem. I'm sure that there are better ones though.
I think the HF is impressive for the price, and yes you have to take your time ,bring it down easy and be very carful how much pressure you put on it or you could end up with a scrap chain. A 100 bucks isn't bad for something I think I would be much happier with
Here are some closer shots of the Northern/Timber Tuff machine for those wondering. And a pic of the other one that I will Raffle off at Swags.
Nice close up pics It does look like a solid tool I will take your word for it Dex , that it is 1,000 Times better than the HF unit. If your right you get a bozo button Ordered one up so , we shall see in 5 to 7 days , I hope, never bought from Northern before.
Believe it or not, I bought a Homelite 540 at Northern Hydraulics in 1991. At 88 cc's it was the last of their muscle saws. Cost me $531 and change with a 20" bar.