My wife always called it fireweed but I think there is a different name for it. She also claims it will give you a bad headache if you sniff the flower. I get enough headaches as it is so have never tried to smell them. This grows only in roadside ditches or wet areas. It will begin to blossom in late July and by the first week in August it is absolutely beautiful. The picture can't do it justice but I'll say the red is the brightest red you can find. We've thought about digging some up and putting in the little ditch by our home. If you click on the picture you'll get a better view.
That'd be a cardinal flower. Don't know about the sniff problem though. A quick web search does show that all parts of the flower are poisonous. Don't eat the purty red flowers!!
Thanks Smokin. I've always wondered but you are the first who knew what is is. For sure it is pretty and we promise to never eat it or smoke it.
The Penobscot people smoked the dried leaves as a substitute for tobacco. It may also have been chewed. ^From Wikipedia^