In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Poll: What split size do you aim for?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Buzz Benton, Jan 11, 2022.

?

Which is most true for you?

1. I split all wood the same size regardless of it's BTU value. Oak or Pine it all gets split the same

68.8%
  2. The faster a wood burns the larger I try to leave the split size.

16.7%
  3. The slower a wood burns the larger I try leave the splits.

6.3%
  4. I have an OWB, so it doesn't matter to me!

8.3%
  1. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Some of you evidently split everything about the the same regardless of whether it is dense oak or soft cedar.

Some of you say you adjust split size based on the particular species burning characteristics.

For instance, I burn mostly softwoods and they are mostly split to pieces about cantaloupe size (4" X 6" when viewed from the end). My oak I leave as large as possible - they are destined for all night logs.

(Is this wrong headed? Does it even matter?)

Incense Cedar I cut small - into roughly 2X4 size - they get me a HOT fire fast in the morning.

AM I thinking it all wrong? What do you do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  2. jmb6420

jmb6420

I use mostly oak. I split it into several different sizes depending on need. Small for a quick start and large for overnight, mid sized for normal use. I see nothing wrong with your method but I’m always willing to learn on this site. I’ll be watching this thread.

Mike in Okla

3. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

I mix it up probably 10% small, 30% big, 60% medium sized. I usually end up running alot of the big stuff through the splitter again though. Sometimes I find a comically large split and just shake my head.

4. jmb6420

jmb6420

I’m about the same on ratio of splits. Just two days ago I pulled the splitter back out to re-split some of my larger splits into kindling and medium sized.

Mike in Okla

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I split as big as reasonable for both the boiler & stove, usually end up with plenty of smaller "filler" pieces.

6. JimBear

JimBear

I usually try to split everything the same size except occasionally I will split some Cherry a bit smaller & stack in a single row to try & encourage a faster dry time.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My splits are sized the same regardless of btu value. For bundle wood sales i make the splits smaller.

8. James Miller

James Miller

I don't pay attention to size I just split it and it ends up whatever size it is. Maybe I'm the wierd one.

9. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I sometimes split a little smaller based on perceived dry time but not so much on perceived btu.
    I do vary the size somewhat with any given larger score, some bigger for overnight, regular, and smaller for the faster heat up on morning reloads

10. coreboy83

coreboy83

I split as big as I can huck it with one hand. Usually 4x4. Some humongous, 12” long splits mixed in.

11. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Same here, all depends how it splits with the iso-core, I may split a round into 1/4's or 1/2 or a bunch of smaller splits. Also depends how heavy it is and how much I want to lift into the truck :rofl: :lol:

12. billb3

billb3

If I had a bigger stove I'd probably have some bigger splits.
    For the most part, I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’m in the random camp as well. Try to leave over 50% on the larger side for long burns. But it is what it ends up being.

14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Higher BTU overnight wood lives in the 8-10” range. Only dead down barkless BL stays in the round. Will shave or square up BL rounds larger than that down to 8-10”………
    Oaks and Shags do get split to fit the feed door on the stove.
    Everything else gets split near 4-5” so it’s feasible to palm from the end.

15. Dave_in_abq

Dave_in_abq

Like most i like having some different sizes. Not really much work to it as my aim tends to produce enough variation. :axe: One thing i only look for with softwoods is real small pieces for kindling when starting a fire. Generally that also happens without me needing to work at it anyway.

16. Chud

Chud

I go big on red maple, poplar and cherry.

17. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

My Vermont wife scolded me for making “toothpicks” first winter we were married.

So now I tend to make most of them with the idea of they should just fit through a 4x6 inch rectangle. Uniformity helps my stacks defy gravity and my skills as a stacker (or lack thereof).
    A few slabs with bark off the big stuff to use as top row coverage and cribbing the ends.

Rounds bigger than my arm get split unless barkless then left to about 8” round for all nighters.
    Uglies worked only enough to get in a stove door. Kindling and sappy pine down to about 2-3”.

It seems like I have a good system but I still had some yesterday on the porch that were too big for either stove that went into the “split it again” pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dangit Karl

Dangit Karl

I tend to vary the size of my splits. So me I keep fairly large and work my way down to smaller for ease of handling. I also use the smaller ones on days when I need just enough fire to knock the chill off. We don't have alot of days here in coastal NC where it's really cold out. Those days and usually on cold nights get the big wood.

19. Dave_in_abq

Dave_in_abq

You must have some huge arms! :D

20. Yawner

Yawner

I split such that I can toss the splits with one hand from the splitter to a pile or trailer. And also, a consideration for not making any giant splits because female or elderly customers don't care for the big ones either. Mind you, it is not super cold in winter here.

Must mention that the stacks in the OP are gorgeous! I suppose that is a pine and it sure has a nice color. And, of course, the uniform length of those splits is amazing, like it was done with an automated processor!