In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My chain regularly pops off. Me or the saw at fault?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by grandgourmand, Jan 11, 2022.

1. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

I love my 550xp but I experience chain popping off more often than what I think is normal.
    Today, for example…I was cutting a small cherry tree. I noticed quite a bit of vibration and figured it was the tree, which was kind of twisty. I finished a cut, saw the chain was super loose. The sprocket cover nuts were loose and I thought it might have been my fail for not tightening after I had loosened to tighten the chain.
    I tightened them. Then went to cut up some larger wood. After a while, the chain popped off. I saw one of the nuts had fallen off. Luckily I found it.

Frustrating experience. This time was the most annoying. But chain popping off happens to me every so often.

Is there something I might be doing wrong? Frankly I can’t think of what it could be. Or is there some equipment or part issue I should be looking for?

2. M2theB

M2theB

I’m sure they’ll be a lot of thoughts on this one.
    My thought is to check that the bar studs aren’t migrating back into the tank.
    Happened to me this summer on a 572.

1ABEF8C7-9EDC-46FF-B955-50E4C4F667FB.jpeg 28B6938F-EA1B-497F-8D6A-46BC37EA79A6.jpeg E929E4F7-7768-4C25-AA53-E4E8CAA128E1.jpeg

if that’s the issue, get a long flathead screw driver and push it back

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  3. Chud

Chud

That sounds abnormal to me. I’d check the bar sprocket to see if it rolls freely. Check the drive sprocket for excessive wear. Try a different bar and chain to eliminate those 2 things.
    I’ve never experienced bar nuts vibrating loose on Stihl or Husqvarna and I don’t torque mine down super hard.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Throwing chain a lot, in my experience, is a result of running your chain too loose. What is your technique for setting it?

And maybe you just aren’t putting enough torque on those bar nuts? I’ve never had them come loose on any saw.

5. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

mad picture skills!!!:salute:

6. M2theB

M2theB

:ithappened:

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

8. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Shortly after I got my 2nd saw which is a Husqvarna 562 I started to experience more frequent thrown chains ( I call them derails) than I was used to with my 345. I finally concluded that it was due to running the chain to loose and it was easier for the chain to jump off the rim sprocket of the 562 vs. the spur sprocket on the 345. I now run my chains a touch tighter and hasn’t been an issue. Probably still run them looser than most folks.
    I have lost 2 bar nuts on my 346, still haven’t solved that because it seems pretty random and rare

9. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Thanks for the tips. Will test out a few things suggested here.

as far as tightening, I go snug. Not sure how to describe. I aim to not overtighten by putting all t weight in it.

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I make mine pretty tight. And pull up on the bar or put the tip down and let the weight of the saw force it up while I tighten.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

A new chain will stretch. Check to make sure no droop and tighten. The nuts should be tight but not over torqued. Chain should move rather easily when pulled with a gloved hand.
    Could be a Husky issue as M2theB stated.
    Some of my Stihls have captive nuts which loosen but remain attached to the sprocket cover. A nice feature. Nothin' worse than losing one of your nuts, especially in the woods! :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  12. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Been waiting for that suggestion.
    :handshake:

13. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yet another thing to check is make sure the bar & cover are fully seated when installing. Sometimes it will appear tight, but the vibration will move stuff.

14. JimBear

JimBear

Make sure your bar surface is clean as well as the saw pad/surface. Debris on those can allow the bar nuts to work loose as it compacts.

15. chipper1

chipper1

Youstadid that, haven't done it in yrs, mine seem to work just fine.
    So why are people doing it?

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’ll make you a vid.

17. chipper1

chipper1

How many tanks on this saw/bar/chain/sprocket.
    Sound like quite a few on the saw for a captive bar nut to fall off o_O.

18. chipper1

chipper1

Can you just draw it on a napkin or something :thumbs:.
    Reading your signature you seem to have a problem with elm, maybe it's cause you lift your bar up :p.

19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’ll make you a vid cause this isn’t the first time I’ve heard skepticism. Scott Kuntz made a vid of it too, just can’t find it.
    Ive had zero issues utilizing this way of tensioning chain. I can remember dad doing it this way when I was a kid so it was always common knowledge.
    I guess if you crank 100ft lbs on your bar nuts, you don’t see it. :picard:

At any rate, do what works for you.

20. chipper1

chipper1

I've seen and heard that before many times, haven't had any issues with my saws loosening up because of the way I'm now doing it; nor did I when I did it that way, just took a bit more time.
    Was that video on Julians channel, I think he also said your chain could become too tight if it slips down, but he didn't have that problem, that was a while ago though when they did that video.
    I don't really crank on the bar nuts, shouldn't have to.
    Is it something you've seen guys have a problem with.
    A place I think it could have an effect is on the gunning sights. If I'm cutting something that's that close I will usually step back and take a look at my notch, it's not like I drop that many trees.