In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Highly Valuable Logs Turned Into Firewood!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 10, 2022.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

There was no room. The log wouldve had to been pulled into the neighbors yard to mill. It was on the very corner of the property with a shed and on the other side of his fenced in yard.
    He didnt know the back neighbor either. The thought crossed my mind about knocking and asking...maybe slipping them a few bucks.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have some CSS from May 2020 so it wont give off any color?

If CSS ASAP this will be ready for the Fall? Im thinking ambiance wood premium too.

3. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

That's too bad on "no space to mill." It looks like it was jammed in there pretty tight. Heck, you can see the shadow of the fence on the butt cut. Lol! I process quite a bit of it, just to get it out of the way and I hate wasting anything. I don't burn much of it, only due to better BTU wood available. When I do burn, it's always mixed with elm. I absolutely love the smell of processing it. So do bees. When I mill it, I have to wear a full face shield and respirator as it can be a real irritant in sawdust form. I've never been bothered when just cutting for firewood. Most of the bark will most likely sluff off when you move it. If you don't burn the bark, beware it will kill most of the vegetation around it if you pile up the bark somewhere. Have fun.

4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

We did talk about milling before BRAD went to town.

Well :headbang::doh: I guess I really might have dropped the ball on that one !!
    I have a CSM and with a 661 set-up for milling but it never even crossed my mind , really stupid on my part.

Since I got the bandsaw up and running I had forgotten about the CSM.

It won't happen again ; that's for sure!!

5. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I can’t imagine living in a place where one doesn’t know the next door neighbor….. glad I live where I do

Chazsbetterhalf, Horkn, Ron T and 3 others like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

He knew the neighbors on both sides. Yeah its a densely populated state for sure. Common to have neighbors on three sides.
    We are fortunate to have a place 1/4 mile off the road in the woods with only the tenant in the attached efficiency the only neighbor. Surrounded by woods. Landlords barn and house down below.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

First encounter with a large walnut I was helping an arborist do a removal. We got to the base and I asked him if I could freehand mill a couple chunks. Made 'em to a size the 3 of us could lift and threw them in my trailer. Later took them to someone I knew with a band mill and got some premium slabs! No regerts, lol.

Chazsbetterhalf, Eckie, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:rofl: :lol:

Chazsbetterhalf, Eckie, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I wouldve liked to have it for milling. The guy did mention someone had taken some for that purpose. Had i started to figure a way to get it out for such he mightve had a change of heart. Plus given the spur of the moment score and 25 minutes from home made me want to get it out of there.
    As it was a good PITA just to get them bucked.

10. farmer steve

farmer steve

2020 stuff should be good yet Brad. When I said dry I was talking several years old bone dry.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im thinking between this and the stuff on hand ill have close to a cord to sell a year from now.
    How much of a premium your thinking Steve. I did get $200 for half cord of mulberry.

12. Screwloose

Screwloose

You don't need a mill to cut boards. Just nose your way through little by little. A few wedges and BW will usually split the rest of the way.

13. farmer steve

farmer steve

List it high and go from there Brad. My Walnutty lady gives me $150 for a 1/2 delivered ,not stacked.

14. rpdragon

rpdragon

Wow, that’s nice Steve. Wish I had a walnut lady or two. FIL just had a woods select harvested and 30 trees were walnut! I’m not a big fan but don’t want to see it go to waste either.

15. Slocum

Slocum

Most smoke bothers my eyes. I’ve never noticed walnut being any worse than others. The flames are cool colors. Shoulder season wood for sure.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Got the rest of the wood out today including a 4' log for milling and a couple "owls eyes" rounds for cookies. First few pics show what i was up against logistically. Wood was behind the far right shed.
    No room on other side of fence. (third pic) IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0207.JPG At buzz-saw's for milling. IMG_0210.JPG

17. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks buddy

Time to get after it!
    Working on the Kookie'-Jig" for the mill now and just ordered another box of blades , should keep us busy for a while.

18. Backwoods Fellin'

Backwoods Fellin'

It kills my sinuses