In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lift capacity

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I guess this is what you call it, lift capacity... like, for any tractor implement, such as a 3pt hitch, or the FEL, any number of things... take a log skidding gizmo you attach to a 3pt hitch... and the lift capacity or rating is, say, 2,000 lbs... ok, so, you are just lifting the log up off the ground, and the other end is dragging the ground, being skidded... so, if the log weighs 2,000 lbs, are you at capacity or do you still have a ways to go? I mean, the log is not off the ground, so, you really did NOT lift it. Only one end.

Will be buying a skidder gizmo and was looking at their ratings, for the ones that list it. Just kinda need to know more because you gotta figure out what weight log you even attempt to skid. Of course, there are other considerations, such as traction and tractor horsepower, etc. but I am ignorant for this question about lift capacity.

EDIT: Prior knowledge is slowly seeping back in. I recall that lift capacity is for lifted to maximum lift. Like, if it is a FEL, the rating would be for several feet in the air. But you might could lift something heavier just a foot or two off the ground. I'm sure the same principle would apply to a 3pt hitch.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  2. Chris F

Chris F

I think you're on the right track. I would think one end of a 2,000 lb log would weigh around 1,000 lbs if you only lifted it up a small amount. But if it was possible to keep on lifting it eventually it would be vertical and you would have the entire 2,000 lbs lifted.
    I would think there is a mathematical formula for things like this but I have no idea even what search term you would need to input to find it.

3. walt

walt

I have an Egland 3 point winch on a John Deere tractor. If I don't have enough lift to pick up one end of the log I don't have enough tractor to pull it. The 3 point will lift a lot more than a front end loader

4. Flamestead

Flamestead

You will usually see the winch advertised with pulling capacity, the tractor with the lift capacity. It is pretty safe to assume if you lift one end of a log a foot or two by chain or cable that you will only have half the weight lifted (try standing with one foot on you bathroom scale and the other on the floor (yeah, not exact comparison, but similar)).
    The tractor lift capacity includes the weight of the implement. So subtract the winch weight from lift capacity to get max log weight on 3pt.

5. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

For simple math, assume half of the log weight as one half is supported by the ground. As you are skidding your can exceed the weight of the log if you hang it up in a stump or tree. I highly recommended one of the prepackaged winches, depending on how big your tractor is. It will draw the log to you, so the skidding is pretty straight forward and free of obstruction if you plan a path well.

6. huskihl

huskihl

That rated 3pt lift is at the pins. If you put a boom on the back, that number goes down. If your 3pt is rated for 1000lbs, it’s not going to lift 1000 lbs at the end of a 6’ boom

7. Flamestead

Flamestead

Your question is an interesting approach to the question. Having grown up with tractors (old, small, limited ones), and then much larger ones, the 3pt lifting ability has not been a big factor to me. I don’t mean to say it shouldn’t be, but I’ve always run into other limitations first.
    Stepping back, without winch or existing tractor as a precondition, I would consider the amount of wood to be moved in a given time window, the terrain and distance, and the size of trees typically being moved. Then I would pick a tractor, and then a winch.
    As a side note, you will see winches rated by tractor HP. That is more a proxy for tractor size (e.g., lift capacity, etc) than it is a requirement for actual HP.

Yawner, walt and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. Yawner

Yawner

Ok, let's talk FEL. I bought a Mahindra 5010 tractor with ML151 FEL (and a bushhog). On tractordata site... TractorData.com Mahindra 5010 tractor attachments information ... it shows 3,122 lbs "lift to full height at pin." Do I need to subtract the weight of the FEL and the quick connect attachment?

I also note that tractordata does not provide a lift capacity forward of the pin. I saw a video where the guy was saying that another measurement, lift capacity 500mm fore of the pin (about 19 inches), is more apropos, that the capacity at the pin is meaningless.

I am just trying to get a general idea of how big a log I could put in the 6ft FEL and move it about a hundred yards or so. I don't have to lift it high. I figure a 64" log (equivalent to four 16" splits) is the max length that will fit in the FEL.

But then with any of this, it depends on rear weight and I do not (yet) have any fluid in the tires. And the only thing I will have on the back (at this time) is a quick connect attachment and that thing does not weigh much, only 60 lbs. I am investigating installing water/antifreeze or some other fluid because filling the tires with Rimguard, I read that in 2014, it cost a guy $500 for two rear tires and I don't want to spend $500 on that if water/antifreeze will work. Of course, I have to buy some kind of gizmo to get the fluid in there.

I am going to order a 3pt skidding attachment and it won't weigh much either. (Later, I *might* buy a forestry winch, and that will certainly be pretty heavy.)

Sheesh, whoda thunk owning a tractor would be so complicated! But I read all kinds of horror stories about people getting killed because they did something improper with their tractor/equipment. I do know it can be dangerous, I was raised on a farm and I had some injuries and one, I am lucky that I survived! Hoping to not be stupid here, lol.

And I think dealing with wood with a tractor is far more dangerous than farming.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    walt likes this.
  9. J bird

J bird

My experience only. Everyone has different opinions and that’s cool I am just giving my experience.
    1. All new tractors are light in the rear end. This is because of all the plastic fenders and such. Also the rear ends themselves are smaller and lighter compared to those of old. If you are going to be doing any FEL work you absolutely need rear weights. That could be ballast box on the 3 pt ,water or weight in the tires ,or I prefer both.
    2. You have to subtract the weight of the bucket or whatever you have hooked to the front from the capacity of the loader. My Kubota is right around 2000 lbs. but if you put a 1000 lbs grapple on it then your capacity would then be 1000lbs. I have worked with the grapple enough now to be able to have a pretty good idea of it will pick it or not by looking at it. You just have to take it slow and don’t try to move the biggest stuff you got first.

stay safe and go slow. You will have it in no time.

walt likes this.