In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Taking a chainsaw on a air plane

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Rickyblazin, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

Its near acadia im pretty sure

2. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

never have checked baggage before but youre absolutely right no way im hoping on a flight with muck boots wool socks and everything else on id probably suffocate…after speaking with him at lunch time i realize most the felling has been done I will be doing mostly ground clean up

3. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

How big of a saw are we talking about here? XL-2, Super EZ, 3100? :saw::dex:

As a fan of the old Homies myself, I understand the problem.

But also, even as a fan of the older Homelites, I'd rather work all day with something like a Stihl MS291 than a Super XL. I do have a 360 Professional I'd consider running all day though.

4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

:BrianK: You can check the saw as as baggage as long as it has been drained of fuel and bar oil, the chain removed and everything put in a carrying case. If some ticket agent even gets a wiff of gas, it won't fly so drain it a few days before you travel and leave the cap off until you get to the airport.

As a former airline ground services manager and station manager (AA, CO & DL) a I would recommend sending it UPS or FedEx. Between TSA searches and curious ramp agents you never know what could become of it.

I've known ramp agents to put a dog and a cat, in their cages, face to face in the cargo bin to bark and hiss the entire flight, or put the tourist's bags of oranges and grapefruits on the bottom and stack 150 bags on top of them. And that was 20+ years ago before the country got real mean!

If you check it as baggage, it will have a limited liability tag that will release the airline from responsiblity for damages, but they still have to pay for loosing it after 90 days, unless you pay extra for insurance or check it as freight.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  5. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

I got three xl12s two of them are automatics
    Lol after reading your post ill be dammed before i check my saw!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Shouldn't be too awful to package up a 16-20" bar with each saw for a UPS ride north.

I'd be real tempted to ask him what kind of saw he'd consider buying though. Maybe work a deal where you get a "saw allowance" and go buy something that suits both you and the job. Ship it home when you're done.

7. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

Super xl 12 automatic its a super reliable saw but yes heavy compared to new saws im not a professional arborist jus a firewood fiend so their fun for me…if i was a professional id obviously go for a lightweight way faster saw

8. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

I got a gang of em xl2 three xl12s but if i was gonna have to use one all day its the 550

9. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

i decided im just gonna go up and let him buy a new saw…my Homelite gonna have to sit this one out
    Right!

10. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

Im all excited and bragging until next month i look like the damm shining frozen beard saw froze to my hands

11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I can't even carry a bottle of water thru the security check...If they allow a Chainsaw to be carried on, I will be pussed!!!

12. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

That sounds like the the simplest solution. Hopefully there’s a good Husqvarna dealer nearby.:whistle:

13. Horkn

Horkn

Outside water, nope. You have to buy it inside, past the security check. It's been that way for decades now.

Backwoods Savage and Ronaldo like this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

A 12 hour drive should not stop anyone and it is just a one day drive and not difficult. It's not like you'd be driving every day like that.

MAF143 and Stephiedoll like this.
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Make sure it has a scabbard on it! :whistle: Oops sorry dumf!

Horkn likes this.
  16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just saw a bit on the local news last night about the craziest things people have tried to take on a plane and they saved the best for last. A chainsaw. First one was a big ol' meat cleaver!

Horkn, Rickyblazin and brenndatomu like this.
  17. jewilson

jewilson

Make sure you richen the carb because the saw could lean out at altitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterMech, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

Update: Just got back from the best work week im ever gonna have…we had sum nasty work to do at first removing a tennis court in rainy slushy freezing weather we had a machine and a side cutter to cut the pipes smaller so the work wasn’t hard…after filling up the dumpster from tennis courts and old mattresses we went out and got a chainsaw from Ellsworth chainsaw shop … my brother was in charge of selecting the saw so we got a sthil… i would have went with husquvarna personally but i cant complain its not my money being spent…he chose the 271 which was great when we were cutting up stumps and bucking firewood but when i had to go thru the trail and trim i would have been much quicker with a smaller lighter saw like my dolmar 401…really satisfying to wake up and run a brand new chainsaw alll day with sharp chains and get paid…the trip worked out perfectly the weather was no match for me last day we got to burn a bunch or pine and barbecue with an old charcoal grill left on the property…i made more than double what i make in a regular work week and didn’t pay for any food gas or anything was very grateful i really hope i get to do it again

Attached Files:

19. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Man sounds like an epic week...one to remember!