In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Where’s the Stihl 400?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chud, Feb 26, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It was $909 here for the only guy that had one of the four i checked. I think it was 18" bar. $10 & $20 extra for 20 or 25" bars.
    System had a deal for me at his dealer in Massachusetts for $800, but 3 hour round trip and i havent called to confirm availability.
    The $939 is the MSRP for a saw with a 25" bar

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  2. Chud

Chud

$939 is a gouge that I’d avoid. 900 is too high.

Dakota Hoarder and Ron T like this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve

Picked this up at my dealer. This is their fall price list. Shows the 400 w/ 20" bar at$1,089. Sorry I can't get a good pic of the actual page with prices. The print is to small.
    20211229_100600.jpg

4. JimBear

JimBear

$939 seems high to me…

AA8F47A2-1E40-444A-8F7A-0DF44418A0B8.jpeg 7BBB4DAF-1251-47FC-AECF-CB14D346A93D.jpeg

Barcroftb, huskihl, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  5. Yawner

Yawner

JimBear that price tag has a 25 on the end of it, do you think that $879 is for the ms400cm with 25 inch bar?

buZZsaw BRAD is there any online link where one can view MSRP for saws? Why do you say the MSRP for the 400 with 25 inch bar is $939? I keep trying to find an official reference in case I do battle with the local dealer, lol. (I know that he gives discounts to certain people and if he can give one to them, he can give one to me, lol. I am no huge customer for him but I have bought an eXmark mower, a blower, an Echo chainsaw, a bunch of chains and various supplies from him.)

6. Chud

Chud

You can google Stihl ms400 for sale and you will get various dealers and highs and lows for retail price of that saw.

7. JimBear

JimBear

Horkn likes this.
  8. Yawner

Yawner

Do you have any idea how that dealer, or most dealers, equip their saws regarding their posted prices? Meaning, do they put the cheapest Stihl bar on them or would it be Rollomatic ES bar?

Horkn and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  9. Yawner

Yawner

I've already done that, plus, priced many area dealers but I am asking about a source for the 'official' Stihl MSRP.

10. farmer steve

farmer steve

There is none. Stihl wants you to go into their website and pick a dealer close to you to get local pricing. This is due to regional market fluctuations. You need to go to a dealer and ask the what the CASH price is for the saw you want. DON'T let them BS you that the have to charge MSRP. The last 3 new saws I bought from my dealer were at least $100 less than MSRP. And they put on the bar and chain I requested. I have a stihl dealer 5 minutes from my house and he gets no business from me. Ask them if they want a happy customer or a unhappy non customer.

Horkn, Dakota Hoarder and System like this.
  11. System

System

Like Steve said, different regions have different distributors that set different MSRPs. This is why Stihl took down the MSRP pricing from their website a while back.

12. eipo

eipo

Also keep in mind, with supply being limited, dont expect a dealer to come off MSRP.

In the same breath as a dealer may not be able to get ahold of a saw to sell you, they also cant get ahold of a saw to sell, at all.

13. Yawner

Yawner

That is not why I asked, Steve. Nobody has told me he has to charge MSRP, even though I know that a number of them follow that explicitly. I wanted the suggested retail price so that I would informed such that I could possibly negotiate better.

14. Yawner

Yawner

Yep, you're largely correct!

Horkn likes this.
  15. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

And it was pointed out that the suggested retail price is different for each sales region. The best way for you to find that is at your local dealer. Either at their brick and mortar store or their website. If you are worried about price gouging don’t. Stihl has very strict rules for their dealers. If you pay the msrp at your chosen dealer you can be assured you are getting the price Stihl USA has set for your region.

Horkn, Lehman and farmer steve like this.
  16. Yawner

Yawner

I don't know exactly how they work but my impression is that Stihl cannot absolutely dictate what any dealer MUST sell at. But I could be wrong. I did not fear price gouging; I felt that perhaps a local dealer was sticking exactly to MSRP (for the general public) and other dealers were willing to discount a little bit. I also know that this particular dealer DOES discount for certain customers. And I didn't mind asking for a discount! So, I seeking more knowledge of MSRP.

Horkn likes this.
  17. System

System

Bill, you're over analyzing. There is a mildly varying MSRP then there are dealers selling for almost a couple hundred less. The MSRP does vary by region but not much. I can't imagine the say $30-40 difference being a deal breaker when I can't even take my wife out for dinner for it. As to the discount off MSRP, if you don't have a rapport with a certain dealer, with the current shortages, you might not get one. You already have the MS400 in your sig line. Get out there and buy one... Pick up that splitter while you're at it! ;)

18. Yawner

Yawner

I did buy it. Hours ago. My beef with the dealer is he gives certain customers a discount and he's higher than everybody on everything, lol. I'm not afraid to ask for a discount. But, to no avail this time.

Horkn, Dakota Hoarder, Ron T and 2 others like this.
  19. System

System

Congrats! Forget the Covid premium and enjoy. In the long run, it really makes no difference...

Horkn, Dakota Hoarder, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Congrats on the new saw Bill. Wanna see some pics of it in action!

Horkn, Dakota Hoarder, Ron T and 2 others like this.