In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Where does everyone stand on Outside Air kits?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mambwe, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Great article on the myth of OAC, or outdoor air connection for home heating stoves.

For those that didn’t read it, the article didn’t say there weren’t instances where an OAC was helpful. Indeed there are times where they are helpful, though rare in the big picture of millions of appliances in households.

Perhaps the most compelling part of the article is the small amount of air needed for appliance air consumption in cfm versus that of a healthy living environment inside the home; the minimum rate of healthy air exchange or “leakage”, also measured in cfm, to rid the home of excess moisture, and to prevent mold growth.

Common sense isn’t so common anymore, but apparently certain jurisdictions made OAC’s part of their “codes” without any scientific evidence to back it up.

Yes, for those too lazy to read the article, they made OAC’s part of the lot codes without any scientific evidence to back it up.

Let’s see...
    - “You have to pass the bill before you see what’s in the bill.” -Nancy Pelosi

- Vaccine mandates without any 3rd phase scientific long term studies of the effects of the vaccines.

Sounds familiar doesn’t it? Government over-reach and possibly even direct hiding of data. Yep. It all sounds familiar.

Sort of like how that now they are saying homes are too tight. Yet some are still preaching to build them tight. Some are even air caulking homes dang near 100% air tight. Why! They’ve already proven it isn’t healthy.

More AOC...I mean OAC BS!!

I never liked the idea and I still don’t. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I’d rather have a house “too tight” and control the ventilation as I see fit (HRV) than have a house “loose”

bushpilot likes this.
  3. System

System

Yup, I've seen that page before... :rolleyes:

4. Dave_in_abq

Dave_in_abq

No exposing things here. This is a family site. :)

5. bushpilot

bushpilot

It has value, whether a house is leaky or tight.

In a leaky house, eliminating the outflow of combustion air reduces the inflow of cold air from outside. If the bulk of the inflow is coming through a room other than the stove room, it can cause that room to get colder.

In a tight house, the stove will draft better with an OAK.

Regarding the article about the "myth," well I haven't seen any of the described bad effects, maybe others have.

brenndatomu likes this.