In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stacking rounds question

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Dec 2, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Cool. I personally challenge you Eric to create stacks like that! :stacker: :D and we want pics!

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive never really paid close attention, but when i neatly stack rounds in my truck i know its safe to say the volume i have will be the same when split. Of course im one of those "jigsaw puzzle" stackers too! :loco: :crazy:
    I usually figure roughly 15% of space in an average stack is air.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  4. billb3

billb3

That's been my experience. I'm a loose stacker so slightly more. I just stack. I don't think about it or make adjustments, except cross-stacking ends.
    Big air gaps between rounds = many small ones between splits.

5. Yawner

Yawner

Well, you found the prize! According to that guy, he says it's "close" to the same but, first, he said that after it is split and stacked, it was five inches taller than the trailer would hold and he started off with the rounds in there being dead level with the top of the sideboards. According to his test, after splitting, it takes up MORE space, not less. It would be interesting to see someone do the same experiment and stack the splits as tightly as possible.

6. billb3

billb3

At the 5:00 mark he measures the rounds as being mostly above the trailer sideboards.
    We also don't know if he drove the rounds and the splits down the road for equal measures of settling of contents.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I seem to recall someone posting another video here a while back that had the same results IIRC...I thought it was Life in Farmland, but I couldn't find it so...

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, it seems I also remember someone who sold wood by the pickup load and had 2 different prices if the load was stacked or loose. I just don't remember who or when that was.