In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What about green heat?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

The Alliance for Green Heat posted this:

Social justice in the renewable energy space means supporting marginalized, low-income households who use renewable heating fuel, not demeaning them.

259391124_10160140788713984_4443061014881902645_n.jpg

Thank you John Ackerly.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

People seem to have forgotten, or never got in the first place, basic (jr?) high school science...trees make oxygen for us...decomposing, or burning trees give off carbon dioxide, which plants need to make more oxygen...so since the trees are either gonna burn, or rot, what is the big stinkin problem...these sheeple need to pull their heads outta their butts and get a big breath of nice fresh oxygen (fueled by CO2!)

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I couldn't agree more.

4. RGrant

RGrant

The same genius that came up with that "new slogan" clearly doesn't understand that culling trees from a forest in a responsible way makes the forest healthier allows for the younger trees to fully grow and mature.

My uncle in PEI has a horse drawn operating take down trees from his firewood forest at the farm to provide for his cooking and heating. Still using a wood cook stove.

Horsepower remains kindest method of managing woods

Pricey106, Ohio, Timberdog and 11 others like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And control the forest fires that completely dwarfs the amount of smoke that our stoves make!!!
    Morons! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

6. lukem

lukem

I've never once cut a living tree down for the purpose of making firewood...they have all been standing dead. I have cut down some live trees that needed to come down for one reason or another and, rather than letting them rot, turned them into firewood to not let it go to waste.

I don't have any data to back this up other my own observations cutting wood for 30 years, but this is almost always the case.

Slocum, Pricey106, Ohio and 16 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yeah cause a 10,000’acre forest fire that creates it own weather pattern and you can see / smell the smoke over 1,000 miles away. Is not warming the planet:wacky:my 3 cubic foot firebox is

8. billb3

billb3

The Alliance for Green Heat and Virtu and other DC organizations are just money making machines that skim from their "donor's' influence seeking conglomerates. Follow the money.
    It's just another way our politicians, lobbyists and their families get rich.
    They prey on the ignorant.
    Successfully.

There is no such thing as green heat when you use their own definition of what green heat is.

9. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Same here! I have almost of acre of dense woods behind me I own. Beyond that many more acres of woods! I never once thought about cutting down any of those trees just for the sheer purpose of adding to my wood hoard/heating my home. Sure some died, become dangerous, and have come down own their own which I used for firewood but never a living tree that was healthy. Most all of my wood has come from scrounging it from folks and neighbors in the area who have hired tree companies to come cut them down. I've recently added a bunch from a disaster tornado that struck S.Jersey months ago.

Pricey106, Ohio, M2theB and 6 others like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Same here...

Eric Wanderweg, M2theB and Erik B like this.
  11. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

That is why burning wood is carbon neutral.

Timberdog and M2theB like this.
  12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep just ask California how that worked out for them by not managing the forest. They put out more smoke and crap in the air then all the wood burners in this country.

13. RobGuru

RobGuru

So... um... I'm either going to burn wood or oil for heat. Which one would they like me to do?

Ohio, Softwood, Timberdog and 3 others like this.
  14. lukem

lukem

Perfect example:

This spring my neighbor had a big soft maple that was threatening his house removed. I ended up getting close to 3 cord of wood from him. I ran the boiler all summer making DHW (instead of burning 200 gallons of propane) and have been heating the house with it this fall....should have enough to get me most of the way through December.

I have a high efficiency boiler, live out in the cornfields (so particulate air quality is not a concern, boiler doesn't smoke anyway)...but I'm still the bad guy in some people's eyes. He was just going to throw it down a ravine and let it rot.

15. billb3

billb3

The "Our Forests Are Not Fuel" campaign was a campaign to stop cutting down forests to make pellets to fuel electricity generators.
    Mostly because of the insane amounts of forest required, the making of fuel pellets being not exactly "green" and because burning pellets en masse actually emits more CO2 than coal due to the differences in fuel density.
    These people aren't too bright and only care about lining their own pockets.
    Unfortuantely the biased lamestream media gives them and their hokey science a voice .

Buffalo Plaid and Timberdog like this.
  16. Flamestead

Flamestead

Anybody google this slogan? It appears to me to be directed at Enviva chipping trees in the US and shipping them as pellets to Europe to offset coal for generating electricity.

edit: just saw the post above. Need to hit refresh more often

Buffalo Plaid, M2theB and billb3 like this.
  17. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Me thinkith da person wat rote dat suffer from a serious case of cranial rectal inversion!
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

18. lukem

lukem

Even if it was, there's more $ to be made in pulp wood / lumber than wood pellets. Some of the byproducts from those may be converted to pellets and sent overseas but I have a very hard time believing they are dropping forests *only* to convert them to pellets.

billb3 likes this.
  19. Erik B

Erik B

I have been burning wood for close to 40 years with the wood coming from my property. Live trees do not get cut for firewood, like others have said. I can't keep up with the firewood that Mother Nature provides. I don't see where I will live long enough to use up all of the firewood on this land.

20. Flamestead

Flamestead

Yes, I harvested and sold some wood this summer and it went to 8 different companies, for different purposes.

My point is The Alliance for Green Heat misrepresented a slogan for the purpose of click bait.

Buffalo Plaid and Timberdog like this.