In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Loaded truck pics.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by clemsonfor, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

not on that day. I had them all bucked do all we did was split. But I took it to the GTG over in Ohio. I think I ran like 7 tanks through it. Had a good time with it.

2. Hall84

Hall84

You talking about the gtg Walt had?

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:picard:… sorry didn’t recognize the name…:picard:… then I’m like that name sounds familiar… had to go look it back up…. Yea, have really gotten to play with it lately. Hopefully later this fall and winter I’ll get some trigger time on it…

4. Hall84

Hall84

Sounds like fun, I’m still in Ohio for work. I’m actually right down the road from walts beautiful place. I’m just sitting here in this motel,admiring all you guys hard work and truck loads of wood. Some really nice looking loads being posted for sure.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Load of red oak and sugar maple i bucked at a score back in the Spring. IMG_5887.JPG IMG_5888.JPG

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Half cord load of barkless dead black locust i delivered today. IMG_5894.JPG IMG_5889.JPG

7. MAF143

MAF143

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No BL out there? Is barkless HL just as good dead/down?

Chazsbetterhalf and metalcuttr like this.
  9. MAF143

MAF143

We do have Black Locust in our area, just none on our farm. We have tons of Honey Locust which is similar in BTU but has the nasty thorns to deal with. I girdle the HL and come back to it in 3-5 years to cut down and process and it will have some bark pealing off but typically is still thorny and still wet inside as if it were green. The sapwood seems to die off and dry some, but the heartwood still needs at least 2 more years after being CSS. At least with it girdled it isn't laying on the ground in the way and it allows nutrients and sun to the other trees around it allowing them to grow quicker. Another advantage to girdling and letting it stand is that the borers will hit it while it's still standing and after it dries some they move on. That way when I stack it there won't be so much powder built up in the stacks (those borer larvae poop a lot of powder). They can make so much powder in a stack if it's cut green that it can cut down on the airflow through the stacked wood.

We also have Osage Orange (Hedge Apple) but only one tree on our farm that we know of and the wife has placed it "off limits" to chainsaws because she and several of her friends like the "apples" for craft stuff in the fall.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah that's a real issue...I had some that was CSS'd for a few years and that wet powder was clogging everything up in the stack...I finally had to move the stack (before I was ready to burn it) and some of the wood had already gone bad from laying wet...what seemed to be salvageable I knocked the majority of the wet goo powder off and restacked the wood...it dried out and was fine then...kinda makes me not want to go out of my way for HL though...

11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

You should have told me that… I could have brought you a bunch up in October….:rofl: :lol:

12. MAF143

MAF143

Yes, I learned the hard way several years ago, but none of it went bad. I saw that the fines were building up and I moved the wood a couple times (gggrrrrhhh on the extra work) and it all dried out OK. I try to make sure its through the borer stage prior to processing it now.

Oh NO!!! She has a way of rounding up plenty... I think she knows were every hedge apple tree and paw paw tree in the county is!!! Her dad always liked pawpaws and she would always round some of those up for him.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

So you get some pawpaw treats outta that then?
    I'd love to try them...

14. MAF143

MAF143

I've tried them and like mulberries, they just aren't my cup of tea, edible, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to get them. He dad just loved pawpaws and she loves mulberries and even makes cobbler. I'll eat it but I prefer other berries.

15. Chud

Chud

I don’t care for paw paw, but my mil likes them. She loves any food that is free.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:rofl: :lol:
    Oh man, sounds like a prank waiting to happen if you ask me...:whistle:

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Load of hickory delivered to BL customer from yesterday. (see post#4726 above)
    90% shagbark, balance is pig nut. 20 months SS
    IMG_5898.JPG IMG_5899.JPG He had the tarp set for it and the "crumbs" are from the BL yesterday. IMG_5900.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  18. Chud

Chud

As many loads as you’ve sold recently, there ought to be 400cm $ in your pocket :makeitrain"

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I can agree, but im trying (and succeeding) real hard to wait until i have sold a couple other saws first. The 036 went, just the Husky 335T and my 1973 020 rear handle. So roughly $400 toward it. Maybe if they dont sell in the next month ill buy it for Christmas. :santa:

The Bl/hickory sale was $400 including extra travel fee as it was out of my normal ten miles. Have ads up for BL on CL. Got a call for some tonight and really hate people that dont read the description.
    He asked for maple after i explained what he was buying and i wanted to :heidi:him.
    Have five trips (2.5 cords) in the next week or so plus a bundle delivery. Tis the season!
    Woohoo! Nice to see all the hard work come to fruition. :makeitrain"

Any saws on your radar?

20. Chud

Chud

The 400 is on my radar, but I have to get past the Xmas spend season first.