It’s Friday afternoon close to the end of my work day and I get a text from my wife. Denise had a dogwood fall over in her backyard and she is worried it might hurt her dog. can you grab a small saw from work and stop by on your way home. I’m end of the week tired and cutting up a tree of any size is not what I want to do, but I grab a 201t and go. I show up and Denise is on her deck to supervise, but I’m used to someone watching. The dogwood is maybe 15’ tall and laying across a chain link with most of the canopy in the neighbors backyard. I start stripping it out on Denises side and cross the fence to the neighbors yard to finish chopping up the top tossing all the limbs back to Denises side. The trees been dead for a long time so there’s a lot of shattered tree bits in the neighbors yard. I grab some of the bigger stuff and toss it over wondering if Denise will be a good neighbor and rake up the rest. I cross back over the fence to cut up the trunk into pieces that Denise can handle. A leader of the Dogwood is still standing, so I fell that too and cut it up. Start to finish maybe 20 minutes. I head toward my truck and she asks me if it’s good firewood. I say yes it’s good firewood. She responds with do you want it? Long pause while I’m thinking hell no I’m not going to clean it up too! She says I’ll haul it to the road if you don’t want it. I look around at the other brush piles that never got taken to the road and say, I’ll grab a few pieces. Good deed done and a few chunks of toss in the stove tomorrow Dogwood. Picked a pallet today too. Wrong place for this thread. Can you switch it over Eric VW, or first moderator to see it? Thanks
Great little grab there Chud. Dead dogwood throws some serious heat. Back in the 1980's my dad and i would harvest bunches of dead dogwood growing wild in his lot. Standing dead or dead fallen. Buck and burn right away. I remember it having big checks like yours. Fond memories.
The arborist BTU king strikes again! Another top shelf score for the hoard That’s one species I’ve yet to come across.
Oh man, I hear ya on the after work, work. Some days it's a serious grind. Good on ya for helping out.
Nice! I don't even know what a dogwood tree looks like. But my wife loves that Rascal Flatts song "Fast cars and Freedom" where they mention a dogwood tree. She always sings it, using her hairbrush as a microphone
Good on you for helping. I was afraid the neighbor was going to start hollering for you to clean up the mess too.
Lol, I would have walked off if anyone started hollering, but people being people it wouldn’t have surprised me. The top fence rail got bent too, so there is the potential for neighborly conflict.