In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Dream Firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Old Nate, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Stanley

Stanley

I cut one and had another cut the guy who cut it said it was 75’ tall the one I cut was probably 65’ the saw logs are gone but the limbs I’ve cut mostly to 16” rounds. I have no pictures now I’m at work. I have enough to fill pick up truck or two full. The tree was cut in October no rot. Gardner Massachusetts or within 20 miles to keep my town more private.

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Thanks for the thought, but at the moment, my time isn't mine. Besides, with what I know I'll have from local sources, I'm good with wood, for now.

jmb6420 and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  3. Jon_E

Jon_E

I really don't have a "dream" firewood. I have access to an unusually large number of species in my woods and all of the good ones are already in my stacks. Red and white oak, shagbark and pignut hickory, black and honey locust, beech, hornbeam, cherry, sugar maple, black birch and apple. I've also gotten mulberry on occasion. I guess I wouldn't turn down persimmon or osage orange, or to see what the appeal of douglas fir is.

Actually if I could figure out how to get my hands on a few dozen cords of dry firewood from Australia, that would be fun. One or more of the many eucalyptus species down there, like Jarrah or Box. Or some of the Central & South American hardwoods.

4. Old Nate

Old Nate

Either! I’ve yet to come across that score.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  5. Pricey106

Pricey106

Dream firewood here would be Hickory. Northeast Pennsylvania has quite a few natives, but of course I never come across it for free, or cheap. I would probably fill about a dozen or so boxes of chips and chunks for smoking. My father in law has a couple on his property, but doesn't want anything cut. Second dream firewood would be ironwood. Dream firewood that has come true a bunch of times is red and white oak, sugar maple, and black locust.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  6. Marshel54

Marshel54

One would be Elm. Dutch Elm Disease killed them all off around here 50 years ago. Number 2 would be Osage Orange.

Scottiechop likes this.
  7. lukem

lukem

Hedge is overrated, y'all.

I've burned a lot of hedge and locust. Locust is way better. Hedge is heavy as hell, a b*($% to split, and has nasty sap when green. It makes a good fire, but processing is is zero fun.

Locust is much better and burns almost as long and is way more controllable.

bobdog2o02 likes this.
  8. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Thanks for that, guess ill stick with hick, hack and BL

9. blacktail

blacktail

First for me would be locust. I guess there's a few around here but it's not common. The way people talk about it I'd just like to try it.
    Second would be madrone. It grows near me, but I've never got any. It only grows within a few miles of saltwater and it's all on private property or in parks. I planted on in my yard a couple years ago and it's doing well.

Buck55 likes this.