In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oh My Starling, oh my Starling…whoosh

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by M2theB, Nov 9, 2021.

  1. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts


    Had some visitors whiles cleaning the garden
     
  2. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,862
    Likes Received:
    121,493
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I get this on a regular basis, except mine are red winged black birds. They nest in the cattails that are in the pond behind our house. They usually park themselves on the top of my 2 huge maples in the evening and squalk like that. For a while I threw a firecracker to quiet them down, basically chasing them away. Then one day I thought to myself, if they were gone, I'd probably miss em. So I quit.
     
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,861
    Likes Received:
    114,896
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Gathering together before getting the flock outta here.

    Are they feasting on leftover corn?
     
  4. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    we’ve got the red wings come through too, but not like these ones

    I don’t think so. I feel they see the corn like a nice level tree canopy that they can all remain close and not on the wing.
    But I don’t know for sure
     
  5. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,264
    Likes Received:
    54,143
    Location:
    NC
    I had some come through and hit the dogwoods. I have not looked to see if they got all the berries. Robins usually stop in them on their way back North.
     
  6. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,564
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Starlings/grackles are omnivores. They're probably scooping up tons of bugs. But they'll snag fruit and seeds, too.
    I've had them come thru but they're not all that interested in the sunflower seeds in the feeder(s). No really huge flocks yet this year beyond a few passing thru in September. Didn't seem like enough.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,218
    Location:
    Central MI
    We also get huge flocks of them at this time of the year but I've not noticed quite as many this year. They sure can get noisy.
     
  8. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,702
    Location:
    IN
    We are right on a major flyway for all kinds of birds. I think they follow the river that's a mile to the west.

    Not uncommon for us to get starlings and crows in the 100's of thousands....big ropes of them for as far as you can see in both directions.
     
  9. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,654
    Likes Received:
    39,103
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    I remember seeing flocks of them when visiting my grandparents in La Crosse. Steady stream of them for hours, or so it seemed.