In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

So sorry. That is really sad to happen to anyone.

2. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Wow, that’s scary. Not planning on going there anytime soon. Glad your nephew and his wife and friends are safe now.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Don't think so.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

The last two days have been putting on far too many miles traveling. Not used to that.

Anyhoo, yesterday as my travels were just ending, I stopped by and got a price for firewood.

This place sells a truckload (11-12 cord...?) for 1050 delivered. Not bad, but wondering if you get anywhere near the 11 or 12 since everyone else is getting 110 per cord.....

Now here comes the good part. Also sells cut and split. So, someone else does the work (processor, I'm sure) and all I have to do is stack it.

hardwood mix for 65 a face. And red oak for 55 a face.

The oak price has me very interested! :yes:

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Why would all RO be cheaper than mixed hardwoods? And what is a face...1/3 cord?

6. Horkn

Horkn

You don't call them face cords by you? A face is 1/3 cord.
    RO is about all you'll get for hardwood in some areas around this area. So depending where they are getting trees from RO might just be easier to get?

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I don't use "face", no...since there is no actual definition for it...that's why I was asking if that's what they were selling is 1/3 cord for that price?
    Even if RO is the only hardwood, isn't still easier to sell "mixed" than to make sure its 100% RO...plus I still think they'd charge a premium for it then? :loco: :crazy:

8. Redneck

Redneck

I have had people tell me they don’t want all oak. Mixed burns better.
    I am assuming that they are getting more dead standing trees in the mixed loads so it’s drier and burns better.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd agree.

10. tree killer

tree killer

11-12 cord requires 6 axles on the truck, a Tri axle holds 8 or a little over depending on the species. Just something to think about.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

I wondered about that too. So, I asked while I was talking with them. They said they get the oak cheaper.

Good for me! :handshake:

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

They take care of the trucking part....

Would be no restrictions of having the full truck coming here. Even with a trailer on it.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

$165 a cord RO and ya only got to stack it and dry it. That’s a deal!

14. rottiman

rottiman

I get mixed HW cut, split and delivered for $350 a full cord

15. savemoney

savemoney

Mixed hardwood is going for 225-$300 around here. Thing is, seasoned and dry wood is defined as a year cut. Greenwood might still have green leaves on it. No wonder there are so many dirty chimneys fires. Man down the road from me bought tree length last spring and is still working it up. He'll burn it this year. Same as he always does. Still a little further down the road, one place sells firewood all year round. It goes nearly as fast as he can put it out. I am amazed how much wood he sells as half a face cord.

16. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

thanks guys..

He's gone off his head complaining about clutter. Talking about selling some tools which were supposed to be left to dad all along. Last weekend he was talking about selling his house for crying out loud. Where he's planning to go, I have no idea.

I lost my patience when he came at me about stuff being on a bed. Said something about stuff has to start going out of here, not coming here. I was just as pizzed off as him to find it on the bed, it was my late grandmother's stuff. The bed was empty when I left last weekend, someone put the items on it since then.

I think it'll just be quick visits from here on out, any more than that and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my temper, and then find out he's passed on soon after and have to live with that. I don't think he's got long left, it's like he had a moment of clarity, or grace period as mom called it, for a few weeks and then went back to his old self but worse. Which I take as he's on his way out.

It's not like we've ever really had a relationship, bad as it sounds to say most of the time I've spent in that house was tolerating him so I could see my grandmother. When he does pass on, I'll be about as upset as if my coworker told me their grandfather died. I'll feel sorry, but I won't be shedding tears.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

TrinitySouth99

Don't do something you may regret the rest of your life. We all understand how patience wears thin, but it sure sounds like his isn't in his right mind any longer. A lot of us who have had similar experiences understand and sympathize with you.

We all hope for the best but maybe pursuing some local help with the problem would have more immediate helpful results?

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Agree with Yoop TrinitySouth99 its hard, I know my dad has Alzheimer’s. Don’t blame them do what you can with love and patience.

Erik B, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 6 others like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm so sorry.

20. mat60

mat60

The guys are right . I dont no if you want to hear this but I just spent the last 2 1/2 years or so with Barbara having Alzheimers.. I have heard about everything said to me and seen allot crazy stuff.. It was not easy at all. For me, I could not live with my self without seeing it to the end. It wasnt about me it was about her. People that are not well dont mean anything bad.. Just think how hard it is for them.