In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wanted! 16" Stihl bar .325P, 3003 mount... No longer needed!

Discussion in 'FHC Classifieds' started by Jon1270, Aug 10, 2014.

  1. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just picked up an 026 in a box... well, 2 boxes and a peanut butter jar. The saw looks great - owner took it apart hoping to figure out why it was so hard to pull over, but the only problem seems to have been his arthritis. The original bar is badly worn, though, so a new one will soon be in order. If anyone has an extra one in nice shape lying around doin' nuthin', please let me know.
     
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  2. Cut4fun

    Cut4fun

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2014
    Messages:
    1,941
    Likes Received:
    3,571
    Location:
    OHIO Redneck
    Only thing I have left in 16" that could use 325 is a hardnose bar that came off a 040. 325 or 3/8 ;) Not pretty for prom queens. :whistle:
     
  3. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    On further thought, maybe I should look for a 3/8" picco bar and get a loop of MasterMech's chain to go with. The sprocket is worn anyhow...
     
    MasterMech and Cut4fun like this.
  4. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Guess I'm going with that plan. I made an offer on a Picco bar on eBay and it was just accepted. Ohhhh MaaasterMech!
     
    Chvymn99, HoneyFuzz and Cut4fun like this.
  5. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Sweeet !!
     
  6. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Now the question is, 7T or 8T?
     
  7. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    7T for work. A stock 026 isn't going to like 8T with the bar buried. 8T maybe if you were in a smallish cant for racing.
     
    Jon1270 likes this.
  8. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'll be very interested to see how this saw performs. I just put the cylinder on without a base gasket and, for the first time ever on any saw, measured the squish. It's at about 0.0135", so I'll be looking for some thin gasket material as an alternative to the OEM gasket. A soda can might be close.
     
  9. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I would think the can would be a lot thicker than .007-.010" you're going to be looking for. Now I wanna run out to the garage and measure one, lol.

    Wonder if there is a market for thin copper base gaskets for saws?
     
  10. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If anything the soda can is a little thin. My cheapie dial calipers only read about 0.005".
     
    MasterMech likes this.
  11. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Lots of people run "can" gaskets..

    Just ask Mdavlee! :)
     
  12. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For the record, the ideal gasket material turned out to be a manilla file folder. This was KRL's suggestion, and it worked beautifully. The squish is as close to .020" as it's reasonable to hope for, and compression is in the neighborhood of 185. What really surprised me was that the saw fired on the second pull and started on the third, despite having been disassembled and in a box for a few years.
     
  13. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The sprocket finally came in yesterday, and I picked it up just before the shop closed. With any luck I'll be able to cut a few cookies this afternoon. Here it is: the saw that I got in boxes and jars. It needed new fuel and oiler lines, and I managed to tear the impulse hose during installation and had to replace that too, but the only part actually missing from the box was the e-clip for the sprocket.

    026.JPG
     
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  14. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Beautiful Jon!! Love it when a plan comes together! ! :thumbs:
     
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  15. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you! I can't take a whole lot of credit here, this was a piece of cake. I barely even had to clean any parts. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about small engines, but he was clean and meticulous working on it nonetheless.
     
  16. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    C'mon, sink that 63PS into some wood. It will surprise you.....
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  17. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have to be patient. 8AM is a little early for that in the 'burbs.
     
    Chvymn99 and DexterDay like this.
  18. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Bah.... :saw::saw::saw:
     
    Chvymn99 and DexterDay like this.
  19. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    BTW, anyone who needs a thinner-than-standard 026 base gasket should get in touch... P1020762.JPG
     
    Chvymn99 and DexterDay like this.
  20. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First cuts, per request. For reasons that will be obvious, this is video is a little shorter than average. The wood is pear, which by the book has a density right in-between red and white oak.