Over the course of a year and ending January 2021, we css about 3 cord of oak on a friend's property. He was gonna sell it, maybe burn it himself. The kiddo and I and his friend all pitched in and got the piles built and covered. Today i stopped in and his buyers fell through. And he doesn't think he'll burn any time soon. And he doesn't want to see it out there... And he wants me to take it. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, we agreed. Although I hoped he'd get a wood stove and start using it... Ill start pulling it as soon as we clear out space where this year's wood is. Besides that its free firewood, we presently have a 3 year supply, and 2 cord into the 4th year. Now we'll have 4 maybe 5 cord against the 4th year. Sca Photo courtesy PatrickNY.
I was able to get away this summer and weedwack his lawn (rural farm), help is kiddo with her garden, chicken coop build, and just stopping in to be company (much needed), food when we have a delivery. There's a nifty reciprocity going on. I'll get the wood, he'll get a visitor, and trees cut that he wants cleared. 'Nam vet, agent orange, lots of stories, and is my dad's vintage. I've developed a tender spot in my heart for that man. Sca
Nice work! Good solid friendships are worth more than any amount of money or things. Nicely done sir!
Nothing wrong with that. I suppose if he changes his mind you could always give him some of your stash or make more for him.
With bringing it back in mind, I offered to restack it in a better spot now. But, he's not so interested in having a wood burner. Its a lot of work. Good friends are hard to find. Its a good give and take relationship. I'm just feeling like I got the better end of the deal this time. Its a real gift right when I need it. Kinda like the Big Boss Upstairs is saying 'I got you for something important that you need, now begin to trust Me for other parts of your life!' Sca
He could. But I think the effort isn't worth it. That and he wants to play with his new excavator where the wood is stacked. I suspect he thinks its good to use....its been sitting for a year, somewhat covered, in a damp swampy shady area, with a pretty damp summer behind us. No way that wood, all oak, is nearly seasoned. Perhaps thats why his buyers bailed? When I take it, it'll sit for a year or more here. I tried everything to get him to keep it (which I'd rather have him do) but no dice. Sca Sca
Dear wife and I finally moved about 2 cord from the stacks, up to the house. I've got some re arranging to do, and then i can go pick up the wood!! Sca
My hats off to you Dave for getting it done considering the space you have to work with and all the wood you have hoarded!
In We're going out to figure out where to put it...best place to season it, best place to offload it to, best place with hauling it up to the house in mind. A flat yard with back door drive up access would be awesome! Sca
As of this weekend, we're joining the ranks of Mr. BuZZsaw: a friend we supply wood to, gave me permission to stack cordwood at his place. The above score will probably go there. Not sure how much space he'll give us, but even a few cord is that much not stored here.... Wohoo! Sca