Neither that girl nor that man will ever forget that. A good place to see random acts of kindness is at a GTG!
Well, yesterday I dropped off bottles and cans to a Cub Scout drive. They do this twice a year I've had a hatchet that I saved from a dumpster, a few years ago. Heavy duty, in that the head and handle were all metal. The handle had wood "scales" on each side of the metal, attached with a couple of rivets. The Boy Scout logo was etched into the face of the head. It had a corded material for the sheath. Not original as the snap button didn't have the BSA logo on it. The handle had been wrapped in tape. I removed the tape and the scales were cracked lengthwise. Anyways.... After dropping of bottles/cans, I approached one of the scout leaders and showed him the hatchet, pointing out various things. Another adult wandered over. I said if they thought it would be a good restoration project for the kids, that he could have it. The wooden scales were all there, and would make for tracing out replacements. They accepted it easily, saying they "know guys" that could assist with it. I said I had only one condition, that should it get restored, that I'd appreciate a picture. Contact info was exchanged and off I went. The only thing I forgot, was to take pictures of it in its current condition. I just found a pic of one that's similar, different sheath -