In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Double Bevel Files, has anyone bought from here???

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by MAF143, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Has anyone used the Save Edge chisel files ? Are they any good ?

2. James Miller

James Miller

I'm using a save edge that I was given at a GTG earlier this year. It's a much better file then the bacho files I normally use. I've had a few of the bacho files chip like seen in other post in this thread but the save edge is holding up well.

Cold Trigger Finger and MAF143 like this.
  3. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

The Save edge files are alright. I heard they weren’t going to be making files for square chain anymore.

I like the Pferd out of the non valorbe files I’ve tried so far. Anymore though and I usually end up just using my Simington 451 to square grind the chains. I wish I could justify the time it would take to square file by hand, but for my small arborist outfit using the grinder makes gooder sense.

Cold Trigger Finger and MAF143 like this.
  4. MAF143

MAF143

I just ordered a box of 12 of Pferd files. I have been square filing since this spring and all the guys I cut with around home have all noticed the chips flying from my saws and have converted also, so we pooled together so we have a supply of files for a while. I also have a box of the 5/32" round files for cleaning out the gullet under the cutters so it's easier square filing. I find it no harder or more time consuming than round filing a chain. I got into some fence I didn't see while stumping with the little saw yesterday and it took some extra time to clear that off. I had to take about 1/16" off of most of the right side teeth to get it back. That was on the MS250 with .325 chain with 18" bar. I pulled out a new file for that and relegated the Pferd I've used all summer to "spare" status. That file has converted 7 new chains from round and totally wore out a 25" 3/8 loop on my MS362 plus one of the .325 18" loops. It still cuts, but not as fast as a new one. I'm plenty happy with the Pferd files if they all last that well. One of the two Bahco files I tried was chipping off teeth pretty bad right from the start, the other one was OK.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  5. PA Dan

PA Dan

Was that at Duanes gtg?

James Miller likes this.
  6. James Miller

James Miller

Yes sir it was. I'll be ordering a dozen of the save edge or pferd double bevel files here shortly.

PA Dan likes this.
  7. PA Dan

PA Dan

Glad you're getting to use it. I'm be ordering a dozen of the Stihl double bevels if you want any of them let me know.

James Miller likes this.
  8. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Good to know , thank you !

9. James Miller

James Miller

I didnt know Stihl still offered double bevel files. I had heard they only had the triangle files.

PA Dan likes this.
  10. PA Dan

PA Dan

I believe the reintroduced them. Got confirmation from my dealer.

MAF143 and James Miller like this.