In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Implicit in its Simplicity

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Eric Wanderweg, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

The temperatures are dropping fast and winter is approaching, which means I better be ready for it. I’ve had this snowblower for 10 years and it was old back when I got it. It’s a 1987 Simplicity and it just runs. I pulled it out this afternoon to start it up, just to make sure it was ready to go when I needed it. After sitting idle for 7 months, I primed the carburetor and it started first pull. Every year I debate buying a new one but it’s hard to argue with this kind of reliability. If anything I’ll add a light to it so I can use it more easily in the dark, but other than that, this is the machine for me. Who else is happy running old machines?
    C84FF57D-23EE-4DA7-8C72-419F5C538282.jpeg

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Might as well put it back in its spot… you’ve scared the snow away now.
    :rofl: :lol:

3. chris

chris

I have a similar one from 70/s or so. the carb has been ethanolized to death. those units dang near unstoppable. last year about this time I went through my 3 units - got everthing good to go. first snow- primer bulb and electric starter went on the torro, Snapper the chute went south, and the snowbeast( that is it's name 15hp 36") blew all the belts. I was so ( add what ever word you want here) went out and bought, new 28" Simplicity ( how much you wanna bet the new one upchucks this year):hair: cause nothing is made like it used to be.

4. Warner

Warner

I did the pick up an old blower on the side of the road and make it work for a season or two for quite a while. Never really had a good one tho.

I got fed up with breakdowns and the slush puking out the chute bought a new ariens 6+ years ago it’s the balls. Only regular maintenance and the pull cord tore up quick replaced it with true blue and it’s been Great.

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

All I’ve ever done to this machine was change the oil, adjust the shifting mechanism, replace a dry rotted fuel line, put a fresh belt on it, and 2 years ago I replaced the carburetor for $20 when the original one was gummed up pretty badly. It’s moved a lot of snow for not a lot of maintenance.

6. Screwloose

Screwloose

If you want a reaction, not a good one, from my wife bring up snowblowers !
    I bought a snowblower in the early 80's and about 15-20 years ago I decided I needed a spare cuz this one is old and been used a lot. I bought the biggest commercial blower ariens offered, special order even. The last blower I'll ever need I said.
    Old girl still runs fine. The ariens is up on a pallet rack blocked off the wheels and it's never seen snow.
    The icing is since I bought the tractor 14 years ago I've not once used the old girl.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

She turns into the ice queen when you mention snowblowers, huh? :whistle: :rofl: :lol:

8. Screwloose

Screwloose

Yeah.....I find it funny.

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Does an old body count?

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Battery light?
    I'm pretty sure there's no alternator (charger) on those old engines.
    You'll likely need to put a lawn and garden battery on there somewhere and 12v led lights. Maybe a low watt led light bar.

11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Definitely LED. Even a small rechargeable battery should keep the lights on long enough to do my driveway. I'll have to look into it but I thought I remember reading something a while back about adding a rectifier and going that route, but I could very well be mistaken.

12. Screwloose

Screwloose

The rectifier just takes the ac from the alternator and makes it dc. Doesn't appear you have an alternator.
    The LED lights have a decent voltage range and will be quite happy running off your favorite cordless tool battery.
    When I first put the led strobe on my tractor I hadn't got around to wiring it so I tried a 9 volt battery. It worked and later tests showed that it would run for almost 3 days.

13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

You're right, no alternator so no-go. A stand alone battery will do. I did that a couple years ago on a dirt bike I made street legal. A full charge would power my headlight, taillight, brake light and turn signals for a few hours. I should have no trouble running a 20 watt LED. Heck, I'll probably pillage the headlight and battery off the old dirt bike and not spend a dime :D

14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Me, I know you've seen the pics of some of my equipment & trucks. Taken care of the older stuff is darn near bullet proof & easy to repair. I don't like DEF, push buttons or fly by wire. Give me levers & shifters any day.

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah I have an ariens about that age. Bought it new. Same thing though, pull cord went a couple years ago. I think there's a Burr that needs to be filed down. I use the electric start, but I should get to that pull cord. Aside from that, it's a great snowblower.

16. Horkn

Horkn

So I take it the snowblower purchase trumps that auction site I linked for you the other day? :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

amateur cutter and brenndatomu like this.
  17. Warner

Warner

New cord is going on 5 years no fraying at all. I think the original was just junk. I also know a few others that had the same issue no more problems with a new cord. I would use the starter but it always starts if I pull the cord slowly once then yank it. It’s somewhat pleasing to get a motor going first pull.

I gotta get it dug out of the shed.

18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Do that if you don’t want to use it. :thumbs:
    :rofl: :lol:

brenndatomu and amateur cutter like this.
  19. Warner

Warner

I’m hoping it gets used a bunch, the last few years have been pretty dismal for snowsports.

20. XXL

XXL

Manufacturer used to take pride in hearing stories of their products lasting like this but sadly, that means that have not sold you a new one, or two to replace it over that period of time. :whistle:

I have to laugh when they say your 5, 10, 15, 20 year old item is not energy efficient or is a polluter by EPA standards, however, how much energy is used manufacture a replacement item and how much pollution is produced from mining the raw materials, manufacturing and transporting the replacement item to you. Not to mention how much energy is used, and pollution produced recycling your 5-year-old unfixable washing machine. :picard: