In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Indoor stack: mess containment ideas

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Sep 28, 2021.

1. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Heh heh. When I make stuff it for sure has to function and if it looks nice then that's a bonus right there! But yours looks great! I love it. Good job repurposing. I wish I had gotten bitten by this bug 25 years ago.

2. SilentHatch

SilentHatch

I have one of those round metal hoops you talk of.. not sure if I ever uploaded a pic of it. Since our basement floor is laminated, I just keep the dollar store broom/dustpan down there to sweep it up.

What you're talking about wouldn't be that difficult, just make a raised platform with open bottom so you can slide the tray under. I can picture it in my head.

metalcuttr, Horkn and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  3. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

I just keep after it daily. A little sweeping every morning while the stove re-lights and call it good.
    If you are really serious about it you need to address what you are bringing in the house to begin with. Barkless, clean, non-punky heartwood doesn't drop many crumbs. I processed a 36" DBH pin oak a few years back. I kept all the heartwood and sold off the pieces with bark. I was bringing in a 1/6 of a cord at a time. Only swept the floor on days I moved the wood in the house.

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I burn a little of everything. Some oak with punky sapwood that drops crumbs everywhere, some clean heart wood splits. Truth be told, this entire thing comes down to my wife who has OCD about nearly everything, so a couple slivers of whatever on the carpet will ruin her (and consequentially my) entire week. :picard:

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I did the same with a couple huge pin oaks i processed this year..well i stacked barkless separate from bark on. Eric has plenty of barkless oak! ;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Slocum, metalcuttr, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Your wife have a twin she doesn't know about? :rofl: :lol: Sounds familiar to me as well:salute:

Slocum, metalcuttr and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I’m definitely looking forward to the 2024-2025 heating season with all these clean red oak splits :drool:
    B0914372-0774-4C7F-8F81-654716FBB11C.jpeg

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That empty spot is bugging me! Gotta get more! :whistle:

9. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

That spot is already filled up since! I don’t have a recent picture but here’s what it looked like in early July. Since then the space has been filled with red and Norway maple, yellow birch, white oak and hickory. As of now it’s loaded to capacity. Once I start getting more oak from next door I want to stack it somewhere else entirely.
    9C39695E-A1B6-49C5-937D-6D37C9DAE1A6.jpeg

Slocum, metalcuttr, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well, maybe the chickens can go? Ill bet a couple cord would fill that spot nicely...just sayin!

Great build with that reclaimed wood!

metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  11. Rich L

Rich L

I bought the largest plastic trash barrel with a top placed about five feet from the stoves.The wood from outside goes in and all the mess stays in the bottom of the barrel until I dump it every few weeks.

Slocum, metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  12. Warner

Warner

E7AAE923-4D2C-4AAB-A23B-788E5CB25AD6.jpeg Just scored myself a kindling box!

13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I am in the process of actually building a storage bench/box that I can keep my wood in . I have always used a plastic bin with a lid in the corner and finally got tired of looking at it so going to a storage bench that will go in front of our window so I can get the ugly plastic bin out of the corner , I do have to have a bin with a cover otherwise the dogs think any logs are fair game for play toys so figured why not a bench with a hinged lid that can be useful as well. Finished size will be right around 20 high , 20 deep and just over 40 inches long

I am making this out of Hemlock that started in log form , went through the mill , stored in the basement and dried. I spent part of the weekend running the rough cut slabs through the thickness planer and then the table saw before hitting the miter saw to get roughed to length . Hope I can find a few hours this week to start gluing some pieces together. The finished boards look amazing ; nice grain , a few knots that really look good and a few worm holes that add some character. Much better than I would have ever guessed.
    It has been fun and satisfying that I will take this from a log and actually turned it into a piece of furniture.

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very nice indeed! If I remember correctly, he milled the wood too.

Slocum, metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Sounds like it'll be a great addition to your home, and the fact that you milled the hemlock yourself makes it that much better :thumbs:
    Of course you're now required to post some pictures once it's done :)

Slocum, metalcuttr, buzz-saw and 2 others like this.
  16. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Yes , I will post some pictures when it's done for sure. Probably be a couple weeks until I can put together enough time and get it done.
    I have a busy schedule the next couple weeks but really want to get it done.
    1 ) because we can use it and 2) it has been a fun project up to this point and I really want to see what I can do.

Next project is a new table for the kitchen but this was more of a necessity at this point.

metalcuttr, buZZsaw BRAD and Horkn like this.
  17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Update: Rather than piling the wood on the side of the hearth, I finally built this “rustic” rack with scrap wood from a crate I scrounged from the side of the road this morning. I even managed to salvage quite a few nails and reuse them. Now all I’ll have to do is place a plastic tray underneath the rack to catch any crumbs that may fall.
    E09B1F1E-6DAF-48FF-9438-1E5C7BFB0944.jpeg

18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Love the rugged look, same name!

Maybe you can just vacuum each piece before stuffing in that holder…?
    :whistle:
    :D

:rofl: :lol:
    :handshake:

19. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Nice job! That looks great!

20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Thanks, it’s not my best work but it’ll do for now. At some point I want to give it a quick sanding to remove the rough edges, and I’m debating taking my MAPGAS torch to the surfaces, then coating it with polyurethane.