In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pine Trip

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Aug 3, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I have a another top off a Maple up in that area with another Sugar Maple that the wind broke off, I hauled some of the smaller chit out about a year ago, I tried hauling out some bigger rounds but it was so wet that I left them there, coming up the hill the back tires started to dig some trenches, not a good feeling so I left them.

    When I was loading the rounds last night I saw some big rounds on the ground down from the spot I was working, I had forgot about it until yesterday, I'll get a picture today.

    I think the best of the wood is still standing, I'll look for a new way in.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Locust Post like this.
  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Here's the haul tonight, 30 rounds of Maple, I never did look at the tree it came off for leaf identification, weight wise it felt like Sugar.
     

    Attached Files:

    HDRock, Backwoods Savage and papadave like this.
  3. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,510
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    That bark almost doesn't look like sugar Zap. If it is or it isn't, it'll still burn.
     
    papadave likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll double check the tree later today or tomorrow, when I was looking at the picture last night, I thought the bark looked like Butternut.
     
  5. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Nice load. Looks like a beautiful night to be in the woods :thumbs:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    A few skeeters when I started cutting but nothing bad, never a bad day to be in the woods.

    I'll start working on some other downed Maple this afternoon, it's near the Cherry I started.
     
    Smokinpiney likes this.