So I have been surrounded most of my life by volunteer firefighters and a few EMS types. For many years I kinda thought I'd join, in the same way I knew someday I'd get married and have spawn. Now I have joined the ranks and am having a blast at a local VFD, checking off "firsts" on every call. First of all, for all of those who head in when everyone else is running away: heartfelt gratitude. Yall are a special breed. Second, I'm a bit short on time to have face to face conversations with those around me who are "in". I was thinking about finding a FF forum, but feel more comfortable with the crowd and atmosphere here at FHC. So to those who are firewomen and firemen, and EMS folks (paid or volunteer), i'd like to pick your brains as it be. Admittedly, I have a lot to learn. While I'm coming from the VFD perspective, I'm good to hear wisdom from the LE crowd. And again thanks for all of those here who drop everything and sometimes risk everything for the good of the folks around you. Sirchopsalot Truckie.
Someone at drill made a comment about having things in their pockets. Not turnout gear pockets, but pants pockets. I don't want to be out and about in town without wallet contents, EDC knife, face mask etc. Most of the time those can stay with me, but in a structure fire, a Travax wallet around my neck (break away lanyard), car keys on my belt loop, might not be the best thing. where do you stash those things if not in you pants pockets? Sca
Good for you. It does take something special to do that kind of work. My BIL was part of the local volunteer FD, until he hurt his back. Be careful.
Thank you Sirchopsalot ...I know quite a few people that do this job, some all their lives...I don't know how they do it, I'm not real good when called into work in the middle of the night...which happens, but not that often...FF/EMT's do it all the time! (at least with VFD's) I'll help get the party started by summoning Cash Larue and booneatl ...I'm sure Cash will remember some other FF/EMT members here too...
First, thank you for your service. May God protect you and your brothers and sisters who willingly place yourselves in harm's way to protect others. Second, I have NO practical experience in this area BUT I have been a hardcore EDC guy (recovering addict) so I may be able to share something of value. As to the wallet, I don't imagine it is of much use performing your duties so any pocket where it can be accessed when not performing duties and also safe from access by others should be fine. Minimalist is best in my opinion. Don't carry 15 cards and a wad of cash if it can be avoided. I do carry my keys on a belt loop on a titanium carabiner or something similar and they tuck into my left rear pocket to keep from jingling/falling off. The location works because it doesn't interfere with my carry firearm (location won't be as important if not carrying). Again, a big wad of keys is cumbersome so keep it simple. You can use a quick disconnect for less commonly needed keys or keychain tools and leave it behind in the vehicle when not needed. Just my $0.02.
Found a couple of FF forums, Firehouse and Firehall (Canada). Both are has-been forums with little recent activity, but a lot of good info albeit rather distant past. Sca
Just saw this thread. I only do wildland, no bunker gear to deal with. I usually try to leave my wallet in my lunchbox which obviously stays in the truck. I have a set of work keys that stay in my pocket, my personal sets of keys also stay in my lunchbox. The set of keys in my pocket sometimes rub my leg when I have to walk a lot which obviously isn't real comfortable, but in terms of heat, if they get hot enough in my pocket to hurt me, I'm past the point of trouble.
Good wisdom. Thank you for that. Our next 3 mile walk with a 45# package, is in April. I hope to make that. Sca
Have you done the pack test before? If not, I highly recommend practicing. Everyone thinks "no big deal", but the pounding takes a toll on most shins, and it very much becomes a mental game of onward through the pain. Is the red card a requirement for that VFD, or an option for those who want to take it?
Hallo! Going for wildland is entirely optional. In my overtraining mindset, I have a lot of work to do to take the pack test. I quit cycling over a year ago, to secure wood for the 3 year plan. And work on the house. Its nearly too late for cycling now so walking with a weight might be a plan. Training has sucked the time outta my summer, so im still trying to get last projects off the ground before winter. But yeah, id like to make the april test. Taking a week or two work vaction sounds intriguing. Sca