In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I've heard of this happening to a few folks. My one neighbor's dog who was pretty gentle but big has passed on. Other two neighbors dogs are about the size of my foot (weiner dog and chiwawa). I think my one buff orpington big hen out weigh them by a few lbs, lol! We've got foxes and coons but the girls are in the coop locked tight usually before those guys are out wandering around.

Chvymn99, savemoney, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

This was a lab/basset hound cross. Don't be surprised what those wiener dogs can do...

Chvymn99, savemoney, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  3. savemoney

savemoney

I had coons get my chickens, but did get the coon, but that was after the carnage was done. Haven't had chickens for years now. Would love to, but this area is infested with predators. My son's husky keeps them away for now. Strangers take one look at him and won't get out of their car until someone comes out of the house. He is really big.

4. Warner

Warner

5EED32CD-06F6-40FB-BE1E-F3BE8B267F23.jpeg Post office called they said they have a noisy package for me.

5. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Hahah.....Awesome!!!

Just was down the tractor supply this morning to get some feed and they got a boat load of chicks in............

JackHammer, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  6. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Isn't it late in the year to be raising chicks? You get such cold winters.

7. Warner

Warner

This will be a first for me. I have been told that they will be fine. I run a heat lamp in the coop all winter.

bogieb, MikeInMa, ReelFaster and 2 others like this.
  8. billb3

billb3

They'll be fine as long as they have a warm place to go to when they get chilled.
    Once they have their adult feathers they have their own heat.
    The heat lamp really isn't necessary (after 4-6 weeks) , but if it is keeping their water from freezing that's excellent as they need water all the time.

9. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I'l need to get a plan together for these ducks. They are quite messy with the water, the whole run will end up being an ice skating rink

10. JackHammer

JackHammer

I cleaned out the chicken barn this past weekend to get it ready for the fall.
    Last spring I put down some corregated metal roofing panels on the floor and that made things much easier to clean out. I pulled up the panels, hosed em off and put them back. Done! 1 hr tops and I repaired a few hinges while I was at it.
    I did uncover some mice and the chickens ate a lot of them.

I found some termite damage in the barn which is not too surprising. I don't think I want to treat them because then the chickens will end up eating the chemicals. The barn will be replaced in another 3-4 years anyhow. I just need to make sure we don't get any unwanted pests at the house ~100ft away.

11. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

That's a hec of idea, nice thinking!

My newest speckled sussex just started laying. Her first egg was huge, turned out to be a double. She's been laying nicely so far, although not in the nesting boxes but inside the coop so I'll take it. She keeps making a nest in the corner and dropping it. My other hen has been molting and hasn't laid an egg in a month or so, I see some new feathers so hopefully she's turning the corner soon.

Chvymn99, bogieb, JackHammer and 3 others like this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

If my birds are to the point of molting, I would say they are probably done for the season. I suppose it depends on how old the bird is though.
    I had some good and bad experiences with huge eggs. Sometimes there is another little egg inside it. Sometimes, everything is so deformed that I want to vomit. Double yolkers are lucky so you will probably have some good luck for a while!
    You could cut up a feed bag and make flaps to cover the front of the nesting boxes. That would make it a little darker and they like the privacy.
    There are also training eggs made of wood or ceramic. A golf ball or avocado pit would probably work too. You can put them in the nesting boxes so the hens know that is where to lay their own golf balls.

13. JackHammer

JackHammer

What happened to that rooster of yours? Did you find it a new home?

14. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Awesome memory! Yes he found a new home, killed me to get rid of him, what a stud he was!

Quick story I was on the throne doing my best thinking :whistle:when I kept hearing a repeated sound. My first thought was dang one of the kids is up this damm early, but the sound was to repetitious and appeared to be coming from outside. I cracked the window and sure and hec he was crowing........Mind you it was about 5:45-6AM o_O. I panicked a little and reached out to a few folks I had bought some of my hens off of and the one farm said he would gladly take him and even gave me $10 for him. He was a sweet rooster very friendly and kind while I had him. Kids were bummed out but in my area I don't want to draw any attention to myself. Up until a few weeks ago I didn't even know if I was allowed to have chickens, but I did learn that my county allowed them, I think up to 8 of them. Last thing I want is someone filing a complaint, I trust nobody!

Molting thing is all new to me. I noticed a few feathers laying in the run here and there. But one day I came out and it looked like someone put her in a blender, feathers everywhere. All my other hens lay in the nesting boxes and I have been leaving the eggs in there till end of the day so she can see them and hopefully associate it with laying. But so far she likes her spot! I tried blocking the corner she was laying in, but she laid an egg right next to it....LOL!! Her eggs are so small compared to the first egg she laid. That must have been rough laying that 1st one, it was huge!

15. JackHammer

JackHammer

Glad the rooster thing worked out. Yes, it can be a pain to deal with them. I pasture my birds so I like to keep at least one around. It takes a while to find one that protects the flock without crowing too much. And then the good ones start attacking people or they get eaten. :picard:

When you Sussex molts, it's feathers will come back with more freckles. Kinda funny.

16. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Beautiful birds and they are such a great breed so far. I am sure having them as chicks had much to do with it but they both were/are super super friendly, do not mind being handled and they are funny as all hell. Super curious and kinda goofy funny if that makes sense.

17. JackHammer

JackHammer

I had a lot of them based on their durability and good eggs. Not huge eggs, but very good quality. I still like them but have a lot of blue and green layers at the moment. Those have been pretty hardy(flighty), probably from the leghorn that was bred in to make a high-producing bread.

18. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Last count we were at 30 birds with 4 roosters. Today’s haul.
    111EA70A-D430-4C7F-A8F8-52DB81339EA6.jpeg

19. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

That's a nice spread! Store bought no more,yuck!

20. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Can't beat fresh eggs, don't think I'll ever go back!

Chazsbetterhalf, jrider and Chvymn99 like this.