In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need Maul Recommendations

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Born2Burn, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Hello,

I am in the market for a new splitting maul. I split the majority of my wood with hydraulic splitters but like many, I do appreciate and at times believe hand splitting is more efficient (depending on the wood).

I currently have a generic fiberglass handled maul but it's near the end of its life - its been well used. It's done the job but I know there are better designs. My dad and I purchased years ago when we knew basically nothing about firewood hoarding.

As one who truly appreciates using all sorts of hand tools, I know one thing is that I always seem to prefer a wood handle over fiberglass. This personal trait alone steers me away from the renowned X27.

I'm certain that I would find the Fiskars X27 a fine tool that performs extremely well and lasts indefinitely but my goal is to find something with a wood handle. I've purchased from Peavey Maufacturing (cant hook) and really like the quality and feel if their tools. Unfortunately, their mauls and axes are out of stock??? Plus, they may not be the best design.

So this brings me to my question:

Could I please have some suggestions on which high quality wood handled splitting mauls to look at? I prefer made in USA but European is perfectly acceptable as well. Absolutely no Made In China or similar.....

Thank you for your time and suggesting in advance!

metalcuttr, buZZsaw BRAD and SimonHS like this.
  2. SimonHS

SimonHS

3. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

metalcuttr likes this.
  4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Get an x27 and apply some of this. :whistle:

2851c9fb-7200-4ea8-8b8e-712a815d4f01.jpeg

Farmchuck, metalcuttr, RIburn and 3 others like this.
  5. SimonHS

SimonHS

One of the authorized resellers might have them in stock?

Gränsfors Bruks Axes Splitting Maul

Screenshot_2021-09-22-16-05-11.png Screenshot_2021-09-22-16-05-18.png

metalcuttr and Born2Burn like this.
  6. Wolley

Wolley

Council tool is made in USA. I'd get the 6 pound with the axe eye handle.

JW IN VA, Wingshooter, RGrant and 2 others like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Have you looked into the Fiskars Isocore maul? Ive owned mine a couple years and love it. I also have the X27. Broke my first one and they replaced it in two weeks.

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Not a wooden handle.

metalcuttr, Born2Burn and eatonpcat like this.
  9. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I have the oxkopf or stihl branded version. I love mine.

metalcuttr, RIburn and Ronaldo like this.
  10. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Okay! I made a purchase!

The Gransfors is definitely the top of the line unit but due to availability and the steep price tag, I opted to pass on that unit.

The Council Tool maul appears to be extremely well made, and has a fair price, but the design appears to lack the "modernness" of the Fiskars. It appears to be a good 'ol fashion maul, which isn't a bad thing, but I figure if I'm buying new and spending the coin I should try for some modern design improvements.

The Fiskars is a fantastic design and unit with all sorts of reviews and data to back it up. As mentioned though, I personally do not like fiberglass tools. I prefer wooden handled rakes, shovels, hammers, Maddox, and wheel barrel handles. Always have. I'm sure the Fiskars would have suited me well but I was after wood.

Which brings me to my purchase:

I ended up with the Oxkopf "wood hammer" (splitting maul) as suggested by CoachSchaller . THANKS!!

Appears to have a modern Wedge design, somewhat reminiscent of the Fiskars, hickory wood handle, German made, and not a bad price! Picked it up for $115 offline.

I will provide a review in the coming weeks. I have a good pile of black walnut and sugar maple to chop up and the time to do it so we should have some nice feedback (with pictures).

Thank you all for your replies!! I knew I could could on you!

11. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Love mine!!! I especially like the overstrike protection. Maybe one day I will replace it with the Gransfors

metalcuttr likes this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Any pics? Get out and :axe: some wood. I like wood handles too, but i beat the heck out of tools and break them. Even broke the X27 handle. Guess i should lay off the Wheaties!

metalcuttr likes this.
  13. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Received the new unit in the mail. It came in mint condition but I couldn't resist taking a few test swings before the photo.

This is it compared to my old maul, which is actually made in the USA (to my suprise). It's quite a bit heavier but I'm not against that - I need the workout and I'm sure it splits better that way anyway.

Soon I will get a chance to field test it against my original.

Attached Files:

14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

That should do the job! I have an Isocore and like it. I don't have the wood handle scruple but completely understand it because I have similar scruples about other things.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

You have scruples??? :whistle: ;) :D

MikeInMa and metalcuttr like this.
  16. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

After looking at my own pictures closer, I wonder if my old unit was actually a splitting axe - and not a splitting maul?

metalcuttr likes this.
  17. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

The generic fiberglass handle is nothing like the Fiskars x27 handle. I had one of those bright yellow Home Depot specials before I knew my arse from my elbow and that thing flexed like nobody's business.

The x27 (and its little brother the x25) are awesome and you will be hard pressed to find something of better quality and value. I think I paid $45 for mine before COVID hit at the Depot. I think they are a bit more expensive now.

That said I did purchase a beech handled Hachas Juaregi Basque splitting axe and man that thing is nice.....different than the x27 in several ways (almost triple the blade profile in length, thinner handle, all head heavy vs more balanced on the x7, shorter handle and easier to control but gets stuck more often too especially on softwoods)....but also $173 to my door.

I think you should pick one up at Home Depot and give it a few whacks with all the stickers intact.....and if you don't like it, just return it. Easy peasy. But I doubt you will return it. It's got a great pop to it when you strike it and it takes a beating and keeps on truckin' along. I wrapped some black hockey tape on the handle because I don't like smooth handles but other than that I hit it with the bastard file only if I chip it.

18. RGrant

RGrant

Lots of folks love the Fiskars, and I'll second that I enjoy the x27, but I cannot recommend the IsoCore 8 pound maul- had mine give out in less than a season and while I know they have a lifetime warranty, I didn't want a tool I couldn't trust.
    I bought a Collins 8 pound maul and that's been my go to. But speaking of mauls... do you also use a wedge? I've taken up a 3 pound Estwing small handled sledge with a through body tang. I use that to tap in the wedge, finish it off with the back end of the maul, and go to town on the bigger pieces with the business side of the maul.

However, the council tool suggestion is also a good way to go if staying in USA is a point of consideration.

MikeInMa, Colin and metalcuttr like this.
  19. woody5506

woody5506

Good choice. I was going to suggest the Stihl Pro Maul which is what I have but I'm pretty sure it's identical to what you got (made by the same company but just branded Stihl I think?) Either way I really like mine. I have that Pro maul and the other slightly cheaper one. The Pro is definitely worth the extra $$$ but they both have a lifetime warranty.

metalcuttr likes this.
  20. Wingshooter

Wingshooter

I have a 8# Council Tool axe eye handle and it's been a good maul once I replaced the original handle that seemed to break before it's time. The replacement handles from House Handle are top notch and I have several on hand for mauls and axes. I love wood handled tools as well.

Born2Burn and metalcuttr like this.