In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Butchery

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by BCB, Jun 20, 2020.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have named a lot of my chickens food dishes. Past roosters include: General tso, kung pao, tikka masala, cordon bleu, jerk, honey lemon... always on the lookout for new chicken dishes.

Eckie, Chaz, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  2. JackHammer

JackHammer

So this was the fat that came off of the yearling birds. This was a hen and I wanted to thin down the flock. She had some junk in the trunk. You won't ever find this kind of fat on a chicken in the grocery store.

The hole in the cutting board is approximately an inch.

20210829_113825.jpg

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Touche'. He's talked about a meat slicer for years (decades). 1/4 cow asst. cuts delivered today though he was not thrilled with the last year- he cooked a roast tonight and kiddo asked for thin slices (which I like too). I think I should buy it early with the chain supply shortage and all. Would a Cabela's lower/mid end do ok for a few times a year ? And poss an antelope once a year.

4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Hey, wildwest . I have a slicer on Craig's list right now. It is an inexpensive Cuisinart model that I bought for slicing home made bacon. I'm selling it after a learning experience that taught me that there is no substitute for buying quality! Spend your money on a quality (and unfortunately, more expensive) model. The cheapies are ok for slicing cheese and maybe balogna or bread but for mass processing large amounts meat you need pro style slicer. I am currently looking for a used commercial style unit. Same reasoning goes for meat grinders. Save a lot of frustration and purchase a high quality unit!

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you, may I ask what price range you are looking at? I see a few called "commercial" in the $300-$600 range, it what what you have in mind?

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and metalcuttr like this.
  6. chris

chris

what metal cutter said is so true. lower end stuff has many short cuts, motor and blade being the primary ones. Trying to source or sharpen the blades on those home owner ( got other names for them - mixed company not polite) units is a nightmare. I see 1/2 dozen or more of these every hunting season. A used commercial Hobart or similar unit is head and tails above anything at Cabellas or similar outlets. the blades on the commercial units are 400 series or better stainless steel, not the cheap 300 non heat treatable throw away stuff. Hit a bone or tuff grizzle and the edge rolls over on those or becomes a saw blade - end of slicing session. I serviced the Milwaukee Wi school system for many years ( over 20) until they went with an outside source for meals ( that's another story). Some of those commercial slicers were over 40+ years old when I first saw them. Grandfather and great uncle were butchers - learned a thing or 2.

7. jrider

jrider

My dad picked up an old Hobart slicer from a school cafeteria 30+ years ago and we’ve run 1,000’s of pounds of meat through it and have yet to put on the new replacement blade. Worth its weigh in gold.

8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

You should do well at $400-$500. You may get a great unit for $400 as a bargain or you may have to pay the 5 or 6 hundred depending on your market area. There are a number of them for sale here right now but any meat processing tool is priced high because hunting season has just started. I will wait for a bargain hopefully this spring! Don't be afraid of buying an older unit provided it is complete and in good shape. The blades can be touched up with a triangular ceramic stick sharpener.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and wildwest like this.
  9. JackHammer

JackHammer

This is a commercial distributor. I ordered my 80 qt. Stock pots from here.
    Commercial Meat Slicers