This is a text message that was on my phone first thing this morning. “Can you drop the huge tree in my yard without crushing my house? If you can and you want it it's yours. Lmk soon cause I'm looking to be shed of it” I don’t recognize the number, but I think I have figured out who it is from. I replied “who is this”. If it’s who I think it is, the tree in question is a huge elm of some sort that I noticed all the leaves turned brown on and fell off this summer. Apparently it just up and died, I seen a couple others in town do the same thing this year. If it is the tree I’m thinking of it would be a massive score with pretty easy access but the cleanup would be a nightmare. I’ll keep you all posted if I figure out who it is, and what I decide
Not sure who it is yet, but If it’s who I think there’s no money in it. If it’s him, he’s a former coworker that left on not good terms. One of those self-defeating kind of people, I’m not interested in working my ash off just to help him out, AGAIN !!! Plus I drove by on my way to work and there’s nothing I could do about it without a lift or bucket truck. There’s plenty of room to free fall it if it was leaning the other way instead of straight at the house. Now if he’s willing to put some money into it to rent some equipment, that’s a little different…but he don’t have any
Just from what you describe that's a 2K ish tree around here. Dropped limbs chipped & hauled off. Another 5-6 hundred to grind the stump. I wouldn't go near a tree like that without knowing I was gonna get paid. All day job with two guys & equipment.
It turns out the guy that sent the text was in fact the ex-coworker. So here is the next bit of text exchanges after he let me know who it was me: I thought it was probably you. Yeah, I see it looks like it just up and died this summer, but leaning towards the house to much. Nothing I can do with it without a bucket truck or lift or something. Definitely no way to just free fall it, at least not for me. him: That's what I was afraid of. Need to be picked apart. Thanks. that’ll be pretty much the end of this thread!
Well Sandhillbilly it sounds to me like this self defeating individual may end up with a dead tree crashing through his roof eventually. At that point, you can swoop in and buck it up at ground level, working around the clobbered remnants of his TV and living room couch. Then that elm will be just the way you like em, weathered and barkless. Sit tight, prudence will prevail.
Around here insurance coverage is getting really, really picky. They come every year or two now and inspect. Sometimes inside and out. They might deny coverage/drop you as a customer contingent on a leaning dead tree being taken care of. I had a window I replaced but didn't finish the (outside) trim on (hey, back of the house, give me a break) and I had to send the guy a pic of it finished.
He has no insurance. And a tree through the roof would at least help him figure out where some of the leaks are for sure. The place is in really really sad shape. The last winter I knew about, He was spending 600 bucks a month and still freezing, with freezing pipes and everything. He’s a real piece of work
Actually if the tree naturally wanted to go the the other way I probably would have considered it pretty hard. Especially if I could have worked it out to drop and take what I wanted and let him and his kids do the cleanup. But if it wasn’t threatening the house he probably wouldn’t be wanting it gone
My last text for wood was elm. Hope it some primo, easy to get wood. EDIT: just read entire thread. Smart move on your part staying away. Yeah i know people like your "friend"...including being related to one! I dont mind helping folks out, but if you're not willing to help yourself forget it.