The morning after storm Henri went through I noticed a large limb down across a driveway down the street from me. Later that day the town came and cleaned it up and left the wood at the curb. I checked it out on my morning walk, sugar maple. I asked my neighbor who works for the town about the wood and he told me he was going to get it. Well two weeks later and he hasn’t gotten it. I saw him in the transfer station today and he Said go for it. I knocked on the door of the house and the homeowner said go for it, so I did. I took two loads out of there today, about a half cord worth.
Can't go wrong there. It's always good practice to ask, I've scored by the tons literally just by asking. After a few years of doing this many just call me first if a tree goes down or needs removal.
That is a very sweet score Thom! G4U being proactive to get it as i wouldve done the same. SM one of my favorite primo hardwoods.