In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Learned a Valuable Lesson!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Sep 4, 2021.

1. OldJack

OldJack

The Yellow Jackets around here nest in gopher (ground squirrels) holes then the Raccoons dig them out just before freeze-up. I don't think saw a JY all summer, but the big black Bald-faced Hornets got me a couple of times. They're the ones that make the big football shaped and sized nests you see after the leaves fall.

2. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Yikes! Those little devils have been bad this year. I discovered two nests a couple weeks ago. Got stung three times but thankful my boy and my dad did not. They were both standing right beside me. I burned them out that night.

3. Ron T

Ron T

Just discovered a ground nest while mowing. Dog took a few hits and we got out of there. They will be getting the gas tonight.

4. Ron T

Ron T

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How much gas did they get if its still burning. Got home tonite. Landlord had mowed. We have a YJ nest in the retaining wall next to the efficiency apartment. Neighbor had sprayed the hole but some bees still buzzing around.

Chazsbetterhalf, Ron T and Cash Larue like this.
  6. Ron T

Ron T

Not enough...lol. They were quite pizzed off. I'm going back at it at 1st light this morning. I have a tree I want to drop today right by the nest. They got to go!!

7. Andy8850

Andy8850

They are nasty!! Nothing puts yellow jackets down faster than CRC brake clean! They’ll drop mid flight! Glad you didn’t get stung

8. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

My son just got his first yellow jacket sting about an hour ago. We were on a hike. I had him on my back in a kid pack. I feel so bad. He has a golf ball sized knot on his leg now. I feel like YJ’s have been especially aggressive this year. This is why I kill them every chance I get. 50EF1B62-FBF1-43A6-BB5B-DC26DDD5E4A3.gif

9. Ron T

Ron T

Well, I was out at 1st light with a wine bottle full of gas. Couldn't locate the hole for the life of me. They were swarming again by 9 o'clock. I went to the hardware and got some sevin dust for the little devils. Gave them a generous dose and will keep an eye on it.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How old is your son? Too bad about the sting. Did you have the 44 with you? Hasta la vista babies? Or was it "I'll be back"?

Cash Larue, Chazsbetterhalf and Ron T like this.
  11. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Poor kid. I can remember when I was about 8 maybe nine, my brother, myself and dad were walking across a corn field and ran into a nest of ground bees. My dad hollered t o head for the car. He snatched me and kept running. Knocking bees off the whole time. We were staying at the cottage at the time. Got us down to the lake, stripped us and started covering us in mud. Not sure what kind but remember it hurt like he!!.

MikeInMa and Cash Larue like this.
  12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

buZZsaw BRAD
    My son turned 2 in June. He handled it as well as can be expected for a 2 year old. That’s a big sting for a little guy. I doctored him up though. He’s feeling better now. He was upset for almost an hour. I feel so bad for him. I’ve been stung by about everything, and Yellow jackets are the worst sting by far.

If I could hit a YJ with a 44, I’d sure consider it!

Chazsbetterhalf
    Yikes! I’d be willing to bet that those were yellow jackets. They hurt like hell. They keep coming after you after they sting too.
    C2A95A61-730A-4837-8C36-D454844F3249.jpeg This was the sting after about an hour. Still pretty swollen. We did ice, Hydrocortisone cream and a little bit of Benedryl per his pediatrician. ...And a good snuggle with momma. That always makes me feel better too;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021