In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harry Lauders Walking Stick

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JimBear, Aug 22, 2021.

  1. JimBear

    JimBear

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    3,608
    Likes Received:
    22,223
    Location:
    Iowa
    Is this stuff worth a hoot for firewood ? My brother has one in his back yard that he is taking down.
     
  2. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,261
    Likes Received:
    54,109
    Location:
    NC
    Got a pic of it? I’ve never seen one big enough to amount to more than a pile of kindling.
     
  3. JimBear

    JimBear

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    3,608
    Likes Received:
    22,223
    Location:
    Iowa
    I will try to get one tomorrow, it’s been awhile since I have seen it. I thought it was around 20’ tall.
     
  4. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,563
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Do they get big enough to be worthwhile ?
    Do you burn it in a crooked stove, in a crooked room, in a crooked house, in a crooked neighborhood ?
     
  5. Eckie

    Eckie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,721
    Likes Received:
    18,765
    Location:
    Virginia
    I hope you cut it and give it a chance to see how it burns. And I am really looking forward to seeing the "stack"!
     
  6. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    You can take care of all the crooked checkboxes just by burning it in DC!:whistle:;)
     
  7. JimBear

    JimBear

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    3,608
    Likes Received:
    22,223
    Location:
    Iowa
    Here’s some pics, it’s not as knarly as some but I thought would make campfire wood.

    C55EC0B3-5166-4398-998E-C39ED9496BD3.jpeg D957184F-D6FC-42C4-B8E9-66F1F638791A.jpeg F868A55A-8819-48E3-BE10-DA76D2F3D6A3.jpeg
     
  8. moresnow

    moresnow

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2016
    Messages:
    1,804
    Likes Received:
    10,163
    Location:
    Iowa
    billb3 likes this.
  9. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,563
    Location:
    SE Mass
    much bigger than I would have expected. Related to hazelnut, so no better, no worse than most other nut trees I would expect. Never chopped up a hazelnut.