In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The trip to see hoarders

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

2 weeks ago I packed my bags and left home at 4:40 am. That night I arrived at thewoodlands place. This was my second time to visit this wonderful couple and was better than the first visit except this time I was alone. I stayed a couple days then headed over to Vermont to see Canadian border VT and his wonderful family.

We had a grand time. I had told Liz she could drive my car but sad to say it didn't happen. She would have liked that. She almost lost a dog when I left. lol But then Lyle almost lost even more. lol Around his place I am either Dennis by Lyle, Uncle Dennis (by his wife) and grandpa Dennis by his daughter. I guess by the dogs I am just Bow Wow. Hey, I even got to try out the hot tub.

From there I took a short hop over to Well Seasoned. While there we were visited by stuckinthemuck and his wonderful family and also Mr & Mrs @NH mountainman. Brian even took me on a scenic tour of the White Mountains and as expected, it is a beautiful place indeed. I like Brian's place and this my second time there. He has a wonderful son too. Maybe I should also adopt him?!

Then I headed south. It really heated up while I was at the Woodstock Soapstone factory. It was good to see so many of my old friends there and also get involved a bit; even a little work in the factory plus a little in the sales room. Tom (owner) tried his best to have me stay longer but I told him as I did others that I believed in Ben Franklins words that both fish and company stink after 3 days.

From there I began driving toward Hell. At least it felt that way. But first I had to stop to see Midwinter and her husband. MikeInMa also stopped and Molly fixed us a good lunch. I also have to say this lovely lady has done a terrific job with her wood gathering and stacking. She has more wood on hand now than I do! I really did not want to leave but another family were waiting for me. As I left the temperature was a sizzling 99 degrees. It got worse.

Heading further south I was hit with a double barrel. First was some awful traffic with plenty of stop and go and very slow driving. Second was the heat. At one point the thermometer in the car rose to 106 degrees. I rolled a window down, wondering if the gauge was right. I was. Fortunately it did not stay there long and it cooled to 98 by the time I arrived at fire_man's place. Sadly I did not get to spend much time there as it was late. Then just past 5:00 am I learned of my sister's passing so headed toward home. Also, he has a son I've wanted to adopt for a long time but he has grown and is now married and has a good career going in the Air Force.

I did call fishingpol to apologize for leaving before we got together and that bothered me a bit because I really like Jon and looked forward to a visit.

I headed west (couldn't go far east or would need a big boat). More traffic problems and to my amazement it was that way through most of MA. What a mess! And here I thought nothing could be worse than Chicago. Most holler about LA but I've never had problems there. Maybe Boston holds the top spot in this category?

I arrived at Jack Straw late afternoon just to stay overnight with this terrific couple. I left the next morning with a bunch of his meat sticks and some of her delicious brownies. That came in handy on the way home.

The next to report is my stupidity. I did not have the address for Chaz but talked to Jill on the phone. I knew approximately where they live but instead of stopping to program an address into Garmin we talked that I would call when I got to the right exit. Well, after driving for hours I had to make a pit stop. As I got on the road again I looked at the Garmin and thought the mileage looked wrong so called only to find that indeed I was way past them. Talk about embarrassing... Again I beg their forgiveness.

I arrived a bit after 8:00 last night to some beautifully cool air. Lord it felt good and still does. The dewpoint was in the 40's all day yesterday at home.

It was a good trip even though it was cut short. I've gone through some tough hours since getting back home. Mostly because Judy is no longer here and I lost her now my only sister too. I started getting really mad this morning but guess it was just the hurt. Sorry for bringing it up but I just keep having it hard without my Judy. I do try my best but please bear with me and realize I really lost my reason for living when I lost Judy.

But I am thankful I made the trip and I wish I could visit every one of you wonderful people.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

It’s a beautiful story that you can travel that far and be able to stay with friends! It says a lot!:thumbs:

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

This^^

I was surprised that Dennis was out this way. I will have to say what a great place this is when you can drive for a few hours an meet the greatest people and hang a hat for the night. Too bad the weather was so oppressive.

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I heard about Dennis being in the area the day before he was at Midwinter's. Fortunately, my schedule allowed for me to head up to NH. It was a nice visit.

Sorry to have heard that your trip was cut short, Dennis, and why. Just remember, when the good Lord closes a door, two more open.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It was a wonderful visit albeit not long enough!!

I did finish mowing today.. mowed it 2x high and normal.. takes couple of hours to mow once and NOT wasting visit time with Backwoods Savage to mow the darn lawn!!

6. Chaz

Chaz

I only wish your trip hadn't been cut short because of such lousy circumstances.
    :confused:

It would have been an honor to show you our property, and the barn of course.
    The house is another beast entirely.
    :picard:

My heart aches for all the loss you've had, it's not an easy thing.
    :(

7. Backwoods Savage

That I am not so sure of. Not many doors have opened since Judy was taken. The hoarder doors were opened long ago and this trip was one that she and were planning so I did it for her more than me. And for sure I am honored to be let into so many homes and I apologize as I probably unintentionally leave someone a mess. I am known for that and I used to have a great one pick up after me but I am trying to be better.

8. Backwoods Savage

I also apologize. I did take a camera but very few pictures. I'll have to check to see if I have any to post.

9. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

We had a great time Dennis! I'm glad your back safe and cooler! We'll have low 40s tonight! I'm hoping some of the pictures you took turn out ok.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The only mess you left here was at the table.

11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice journey Dennis, you are a special man and Judy a special lady...Glad you had the opportunity to visit with some of FHC's finest! Next trip please consider a stop in Eaton Township, I would love for you to meet my wife!

Stay strong Brother, it has been a tough year...but you know you are a loved man!

12. Locust Post

Locust Post

Thanks for calling me from the road in your travels Dennis and I'm glad you made it home. Also I was sorry to hear of your sister. Cathy and I will keep you in our prayers. It was a FHC Saturday for me as I shared with you that I had just returned from a visit with another prestigious member brenndatomu to get some of his stock of rubber roofing.

13. Backwoods Savage

That sounds good! I expected lower temps here but it still feels good and cooler air can't be too far away now.

14. Ron T

Ron T

I got a few rolls of that as well.

15. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Dennis, as we already told you, there is nothing to forgive. You mind was on more important stuff. You needed to take care of your sister. I certainly enjoyed our conversations we had on the phone and glad you made it home safe and sound.

16. Backwoods Savage

Thanks again Jill.

17. bogieb

bogieb

Happy you got to get out and visit a bunch of FHC'ers. The end of last week was not pleasant weather . Unfortunately it sounds like you didn't get to stick around these parts for the cold front that dropped the temp and brought low humidity late Saturday afternoon.

My Condolences on the loss of your sister, may she rest in peace.

18. Backwoods Savage

One regret is that the time and mileage factor don't allow me to visit all the hoarders I would like to visit.

19. Stinny

Stinny

Once again Dennis... you've provided more inspiration on how to get through a really challenging time in life. Hit the road and visit good friends. Great story. Great trip. I bet Judy had a ball ridin' shotgun too... :)

My condolences on losing your sister.

20. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

My condolences on losing your sister Dennis..........

Sounds like you had a nice trip seeing many wonderful folks, that friendship is priceless and shows the kind of person and respect we all have for you.