Grabbed two Ash today in the forest. I soaked two t-shirts and drank a gallon of water! Nice to be out and cut though. Got to use the save edge files I got from baileys last week. Those are great files! Very aggressive. Didn't take long to sharpen and the chips were flyin'. I am going to be sending my Stihl 361 out to be ported soon. Sold my old 018c and some other stuff on Craigslist. Those funds are going to buy my 'Pop a new MS-251... That I'm going to break in while my saw is gone. How's everyone else doing lately?
Warm here today too,88 with sunshine & low humidity for a change in afternoon.No cutting today but did work a couple hours yesterday morning before it got too bad.Dropped a small Bur Oak snag,hauled in the rest of the dead White Elm/Red Oak I cut last Monday.About 1/2 pickup load for everything. This time of year in a normal session,even just working 3-4 hours I usually go through 3 t shirts by the time I've quit for the day. Its good for you,just remember to stay hydrated & pace yourself & take frequent breaks.
I got done messing around outside after about 2 hours and my shirt was pretty sweaty. I don't bother changing shirts until I'm done for the day, and I've had a shower. Absolutely, stay hydrated. Anything above 80 and I slow down. I sometimes slow down before it gets that warm.
It was cooler here today but it was sprinkling all day - woulda made a much better day than Friday, when I was hauling. But I got 5 free truckloads of washed stone for the driveway. Plus I scrounged some used kitchen cabinets for my wood shop. So I still got my 'scrounging free truckloads of stuff' fix
You guys put me to shame, I walked my dogs, took a nap, folded laundry and watched a movie with my wife tonight. I did nothing today!
Joe, with one of the addresses in your avatar being in Florida, I assume you're down there with the annual migration of snow birds, right? Sooo...is making wood more or less a pastime or nasty habit you can't shake?
That's some good looking ash. Not too far gone yet. One I see was a bit hollow. Maybe ants in there? This time of year I am very satisfied to read about other folks cutting wood. We usually get started around December 1 and work through the winter.
I'm down in Florida for work. I fly back and forth as needed. There are slow times and there are busy times. Otherwise I'm home in Michigan. I don't leave for Florida until after Christmas. Then it's off right away to the land of fruits and nuts (California) for a few days to work our bees in the almond groves. The whole time in away from Michigan, the only thing I want is to get back. I hate large cities.
One of the trees had ants. I can't get into the forest during winter. The snow is 2-3' deep and without a sled, it's not happening. Way to easy to slide off into a ravine.
Nice looking wood.. lot's of ash to go around with the EAB.... When I'm driving, I see lots of dead trees along the highways, mostly ash. Impressive wood stack also. Where about in MI do you live? You must have an interesting job. I use to live in Michigan so I can appreciate that, then there's Florida. Who doesn't like going down there for work in January? But then there's the comment about CA, bees and almonds.... Mhhmmm..... interesting job you have? Just re-read my post, came across as awfully nosey! didn't change anything though..... Mark
I'm a commercial beekeeper. Bees go to FL in the winter and we ship them off to CA for pollination service also. It's interesting all right. The little brats tore me up good today.