In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cutting wood with 100f heat index.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by clemsonfor, Aug 1, 2021.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I waited till later yesterday afternoon to start. About 9 or so I think it still said it was 92 heat index. It didn't feel that hot outside by then to me though it was cooler when I was on my way back to the house around 745.

This morning I went to load it all on my trailer and i been back at the house and hour or so and it says it feels like 98f but is only 89.

It's only red maple but was half a mile from the house and I was able to pull the big stuff out with my tractor and then cut it in the grass and load right Onto the trailer. The pic with the saw is the but cut. That's a ms650 with a 20" bar for scale. IMG_20210801_100400009_HDR.jpg IMG_20210801_100641640_HDR.jpg IMG_20210801_110124911_HDR.jpg

2. Biddleman

Biddleman

Nice job working in the heat. I was doing that the other week. I stopped when my breaks were getting longer than the time I was working.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

No way am I going to do that in that kind of heat. It can wait until December here.

4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

That's A/C weather... Nice grab of wood though.

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The only thing I'm cutting in air like that is cheese. :whistle:

6. jrider

jrider

Bring lots of water and a few extra shirts.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice score there! :thumbs: Hats off to ya for working in those conditions. :tip:Not a fan of cutting in the heat especially with a heat index like that. I did over the last couple months as i had to get the wood out of the yard it was in. Are you used to working in heat like that clemsonfor ?

8. Geoff C

Geoff C

I started wearing long sleeve spf rated shirts. Columbia makes some for fishing. They keep me cooler than short sleeve. They are vented in the back and dry really fast.

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I don't work outside all the time as a day job nor do I do physical labor as a day job. I do all this stuff afterwork on weekends around my house and property. I guess you could say I'm used to it being born raised and never lived out of the state here in the South.

10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have fishing shirts I wear to work on summer just like you say, I have worked in them as well. To me the way they stick to my skin doesn't appeal to me. Cotton sticks too, but different. The quick drying is fine like when I'm at work and get sweaty to dry fast but when working outside you want to stay wet for the cooling effect. I don't sweat so fast that it runs off my clothes so it still evaporates before leaving the cloth.

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yep, I'm out with that heat. I'll work over an awesome score until about 90 degree's, then I'll ask landowner if it can wait for a bit cooler temps. Even then I'll go through my 50oz water jug like it's nothing. The sweat pours of me like a partially open hose.

12. jrider

jrider

Are they anything like dry fit shirts? Because when I’m working in heat like that, I can take the dry fit shirt off and wring it out in about an hour or so.

13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I drank three 16oz water bottles in just a short time yesterday afternoon working up and splitting some of it

14. Geoff C

Geoff C

This is one I got on sale at Dicks towards the end of summer. I don’t think it’s a “dry fit”. It’s loose and ventilated and kind of air drys while you are wearing it.

Men’s PFG Tamiami™ II Long Sleeve Shirt | Columbia Sportswear

MikeInMa, jrider and PA Mountain Man like this.
  15. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Good score :thumbs: bad heat:mad:
    We got a break today, cooler and no humdidity.:thumbs:

16. jrider

jrider

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  17. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

So regular shirts here...sleeveless sometimes, but nothing special.
    On a recent landscaping gig in the first hot spell, I made my own electrolyte drink, drank about 4 qts of that and another 3 straight water.
    Didn't move as fast, but that was because I was in jeans and everything stuck.

Electrolyte drink made all the difference in the world though.
    Sca

MikeInMa likes this.
  18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea those are the kind of shirts I'm talking about. They stick to you when wet and they don't stretch like cotton and restrict my movement. I have like 5 or 6 of them in short sleeve. Cause the material does not stretch like cotton they don't move well with you. They feel weird on you wen wet, like a bathing suit. They do dry fast. I wear them to the lake all the time and on the boat when I have a shirt on , on the boat or going to the ramp.

19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Walmart has the same thing. Academy has them, I buy short sleeves they have them in their Magellan brand in different styles starting at I think like $16-20 and up to like $30.

jrider likes this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I will wear jeans outs
    Idea sometimes but they stick and are HOT as crap I don't see how people wear them outside in the summer to work? I like the lightest weight Carhartt type pants, not the thick ones everyone you see wear that when new you can stand up in the corner. TSC also has some very similar to Carhartt style lightweight pants that I think i have paid $15 for on sale.

Sirchopsalot and MikeInMa like this.