Not exactly a score to write home about but I’ll take it. I was on a drive with my kids and spotted a pile of brush that someone ditched on a backroad. There were a few red maple rounds on top so I grabbed them. Of course whoever cut them did it at weird angles, and made them every which length except the right one but hey, I’m not too picky It’s been several weeks since I scrounged anything so I was long overdue. As long as I keep processing a year’s worth every year, staying 3-4 years ahead will be a breeze. I figure this little bit from today is a couple days worth of heat so not too bad. I added it to a mixed stack of Norway/sugar maple and yellow birch that will probably be burned in 2023-2024.
Hearing you loud and clear about the little jobs. Just yesterday i saw a nice looking cherry tree at werk. Musta fallen recently. Its probably 25 or 30 feet long, not much bigger than13" around.. and accessible. Its gonna bother me till I go get it. You're 100% right on that every log counts. I also think that small scrounges are fulfilling because we can accomplish them quickly and call it done. Sca
I can only hope... there’s a triple trunk white birch a minute and a half from my house that was taken down last week... the logs left piled on the lawn. There’s a for sale sign on the house and I think the owners vacated a while ago, so nobody there to ask. Every time I drive by I’m hoping to see someone out there who I can get permission from. Of course across town at one of the many potential BL scores where I asked and heard nothing back, I drove by today and see 24”+ log lengths of locust piled in the parking lot So in short, many more scores at arm’s length to keep me up at night.
Don't do stupid stuff, call the realtor & offer to remove the yard waste for a reasonable price to help the property value. You'll be surprised how many people will spend a few hundred cash to get a job done that looks like a big project to them. Don't under value skills & equipment once you have enough wood for a few years.
I was cutting through a residential neighborhood this afternoon trying to avoid construction and found these out to the curb, with a FREE sign posted. Noodled red maple chunks that are weathered, dry as a bone and ready to burn. Not much but I’ll take it.
Scrounges like that are some of my favorite. They don’t require allot of effort and they do add up, plus they satisfy that need!